Updating to Beta 4 help? :)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ry23, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ry23 macrumors member

Hey everyone just a quick question.. I updated to both Beta 2 and Beta 3 using OTA. I've done a lot of reading and it seems that if you don't use OTA then you can probably get less bugs. I was just wonderin, wat would be the proper way of installing Beta 4 not using OTA. iPhone 5 is wat I've got.

Thanks in advance,
    Ry

2. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing you don't have developer account so restore to 6.1.4 then shift update to ios 7 beta 4

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Installing it OTA works just as well as doing it using iTunes.

4. ry23 thread starter macrumors member

Lol no I am not a developer... I just like being caught up :) but I don't run around complaining or talkin **** about it cuz I understand its Beta so it's not gonna be perfect. But thank ya sir and/or madam (I can't see your name from the this screen)

And thank you to the second commenter as well!

5. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing you were born in 1998 which makes you 15

6. emckai macrumors regular

Thank you for staying on topic. /s

OTA update is the same as updating via iTunes just without the need for the computer.

As for the 'less bugs' not sure if that is true at all. Every situation is different depending on the device, either you update via OTA or iTunes it should all be the same at the end of the day.
    You are guaranteed 'less bugs' if you do a CLEAN INSTALL and not restore from a backup.

7. hallex macrumors member

what is CLEAN INSTALL? that do shift+update from 6.1.4 to beta 4 without any restore is that clean what you mean?

thanks.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Clean install means wiping a device so it doesn't have any data, then installing without loading a backup. So if your device has data on 6.1.4 and you shift update, that isn't a clean install. But if you have a clean install of 6.1.4, then update to a beta, it is. If you restore to a beta without loading a backup, that's also a clean install.

9. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

A clean install would involve downloading the iOS 7 Beta 4 IPSW and restoring the device in iTunes and setting it up as new. Only registered developers can do that on a beta as it requires your UDID to be registered.

I downgraded back to iOS 6.1.3 and then updated to Beta 4. It's not a clean install, but its the best I can do.

10. hallex macrumors member

i got it. thx u 2.

11. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Be careful though - if you are not a developer you cannot do a 'Clean Install' of any beta (your iPhone will not activate). The closest thing is to restore to iOS 6 and then update to the beta.

Sorry to repeat myself but I don't want you to make a mistake.

12. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Sure am :p

13. figaro331 macrumors member

figaro331

Unable to update via OTA

I'm registered developer and I was unable to update via OTA-it freezing "checking for update" message for several hours. Only when I've downloaded B4 ipsw from developer's account, I was able to update my IPhone 5. Somehow this OTA crap doesn't work every so often!