Updating to Either MBP or MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmcmin, Jul 22, 2014.

1. jmcmin macrumors newbie

Hi all! Sorry if this question is redundant. I currently have a MacBook from 2007 that has served me well. But it's time to finally update. I know I still need to go into the store and play with the new models but would love your input.

I will primarily be using either device for photo editing, video editing (from a gopro), Internet, and games (mostly the Sims ;)). Can the MBA support this or is the MBP a better fit? Thanks in advanced!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the rMBP is the best choice, better CPU, better screen. Overall a faster computer.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Both models are fine for the tasks you describe.

Just weigh up your priorities (retina, battery, portability, price,...).

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Will you try to keep your next Macbook for another 6-7 years? If so, I would suggest you get all the computer you can afford. It may be more than you need today, but in %+ years from now there is a decent chance that the workload from the OS and apps you run will be greater than they are today.

The long term trend is more resources (CPU, GPU, memory, storage), not less to run future OS and apps.

Moderation is a fatal thing... Nothing succeeds like excess.
    Oscar Wilde

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Either option will give you all of the power you need. I'd go with the rMBP if you can. The display alone is worth the slightly extra cost.

6. klover macrumors 6502a

If you value display quality, I'd have to say the retina series is a must. MBAs use above-average TN displays but the viewing angles, color gamut, contrast, resolution, etc. are considerably lower than a retina display.

7. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular

Get a cheap 13" retina. Smaller footprint. Light enough. Beautiful display. And you can get more screen real-estate if you use a 3rd party app. Well worth the extra $200 or so.

8. jmcmin thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. Yes I'd most likely like to keep it for a length a time again. Do you think a 13in retina with some upgrades would last?

----------

That's what I've been looking at. Just not sure what upgrades to do if any.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Look at refurbished

Hi There

I agree that the retina is the better option, better connectivity more powerful processors better graphics and the screen is gorgeous. If you look at the refurb store you can get a current 8GB RAM 256GB SSD model for about the same as a new base model. This should serve you well for years to come.

Hope that is some help.

10. Meister, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

Folks in the macbook pro section tend to recommend mbps.

There is really nice advantages to the mba. I would maybe see to try both of them out.

The mba has a better battery and is noticably lighter. It also costs less.

The cpu and gpu difference is neglegtable since the mbas turbo gets you about the same clockspeed.

What a lot of people dont like to talk about is the scroll and UI lag of the retina.

Yesterday I noticed it again. I was multitasking Ps, Lr, Safari, Chrome (the nasty :( ) and some other apps.

The UI lag became so annoying that I turned off the retina resolution to make it go away.

11. PandaBrit macrumors member

I was originally going to get a macbook air, but as I also use mine for games, I find my rMBP works really well. If you have the funds get the macbook pro, but otherwise just get the air. As others have said, both will do what you want.