Updating to final iOS 6 from beta (not GM)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by kirky29, Sep 19, 2012.

1. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Hey hey, alrighty I'm not on the GM yet because my Dev account expired a few days before the GM release (annoyingly) - will I have to do a complete restore and update from iTunes, or will my pre-GM iOS 6 installation pickup that the actual final version is out?

I'm guessing I'm going to have to do it the painful way via iTunes?

Thanking y'all.

2. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

Yes sir, you will have to do a complete restore from itunes. Beta versions are not picked up OTA like regular updates. You can only OTA from a regular public release to a beta & to get it back to a public release, a restore is needed there too. One tip when doing this, after restoring to 6.0, do yourself a favor & go to settings & reset your phone so that you can then restore from icloud backup. icloud backups seem to work much better than itunes backups in my opinion. That way all your apps are restored just the way they were.

3. kirky29 thread starter macrumors 65816

kirky29

Cheeeeeers! I'll do just that :)

I was going to just wait until Friday for my iPhone 5, but nope! Too impatient!

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

On all the beta updates including GM I have been able to update without a restore. Just Option+click the Check for Update button and find the ipsw

5. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Unable to update to iOS 6 from beta 2. It says iPad not part of developer program. I wiped it, but it won't install anything. Any ideas?

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

going from beta 4 to GM last week i was able to do what waterskier said. However since ios 6 is now public you should be able to just click the update button without having to manually pick the .ipsw file

i would just make sure you have a recent update from itunes or icloud incase you run into any issues.

7. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

Yea, know what you mean. I was too :cool:

8. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I don't have the GM of iOS 6, so that won't work.

I erased all contents and settings, now its a paperweight as it won't activate without registering it with the developer site, which I can't do since I can't access anything.

9. RipeRetina, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

I would try restoring to GM then restoring to public. You can get beta ipsw or dmg from all types of websites.