Updating to iOS 4.2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DennisDigestive, Nov 18, 2010.

1. DennisDigestive macrumors newbie

When iOS 4.2 comes out, I know I can update without updating iTunes. The family won't update iTunes, so is there anyway I can get my iPad running 4.2 with all my stuff without syncing, just updating? Thanks.

2. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

You have to use iTunes.

Wish they would implement an Android style update that happens OTA...

3. DennisDigestive thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but does what I have on my iPad stay on my iPad during the iPad update?

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Yes. Just make sure it's an Update and not a restore. Everything, your apps, music, et cetera will be safe.

5. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

You can update on another computer with iTunes 10.1 that you're not synced to. I did this when I put on 4.2 GM. It'll say you're synced to another library and do you want to sync to this new library. You just say no and then update.

But just know that you won't be able to sync at your home machine with the original library until you update that computer to 10.1.

I think I actually sync my iPad to the computer only for firmware updates. Haha.

6. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Why won't they update iTunes to 10.1? The software won't compromise your iTunes library or anything, it's there to provide more stability, and features :)

Unless updating it requires a password, I'd just update it myself.

Good luck getting 4.2 :) It's a good update.

7. HelveticaNeue, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I agree with the poster above. What reason do they have for not updating?

8. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Could be a resource hog on an older machine. iTunes 9 might have really knocked the thing for a loop. Hahahaha. I'm totally getting to the point that I have to upgrade hardware to support the software requirements. Hahaha.

9. DennisDigestive thread starter macrumors newbie

Last time we updated, my sister visited, decided to sync her iPod, updated the iTunes, messed up somewhere and the computer crashed. We got that fixed, but the family aren't updating to stop that repeating. I get paranoid, but I don't worry about an update!