Updating to iOS 5 Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jbud72, Oct 11, 2011.

1. jbud72 macrumors member

I'm currently away from my home computer and won't be back for another week and would like to update my iPad and iPhone to iOS 5 tomorrow. Is it possible to connect to another Mac and update from that computer? Or does it HAVE to be from my home computer?

2. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

You can do it. I've done it a few times while away on business.

Just make sure not to sync with the current library. It'll say something about the device not linked to the library on that computer. Say no when it says something about linking.

Then go through the update process. It'll backup on that machine to put everything back on during the update.

3. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

if you want to keep your content, make sure you do an update and not a restore.

4. jbud72 thread starter macrumors member

I attempted to update and got this far:

"Updating to iOS 5.0 will delete all of the apps and media, including iTunes Store purchases, on your iPad. To preserve your content, apply this update on the computer where you sync apps, music, videos, and photos."

I don't know what to do/if I should continue or what.

5. jbud72 thread starter macrumors member

If I just backup and restore from that, I should be fine right? Shouldn't matter that I'm on a different computer?

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

It will matter because none of your iPad media is stored on that computer. You'll be starting fresh. Anything you can't get from iTunes in the cloud will be a loss until you can get back to your base computer.