Updating to iTunes 10 F'd My Library Up.....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EatMyApple, Sep 4, 2010.

1. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I just updated to iTunes 10 and it took my entire library and saved all songs under the same artist and genre, who was first in the list if you sort by artist.

No idea how this happened, but it happened. Now how do I fix this without manually correcting every song?

I tried several backups in Time Machine and not of them corrected the issue.

My only other idea, is I have an iPod Classic when I do a complete sync too. I had a program at one time that would take the songs off the iPod and put them into the library.

Could I delete the library and take everything from iPod and start over that way?

Just double checking so I don't have to correct manually! Couldn't find an UNDO feature in iTunes.....

Thank you!

2. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Watch out if Apple decided that you're not supposed to use your iPod for a backup device, and plugging it into your PC might cause your whole iPod database to be deleted when it auto-syncs.

It looks like Apple broke the iTunes store too. While browsing the sneak peeks, iTunes crashed and OS X said: "iTunes quit unexpectedly." That's the first I can recall having a fatal iTunes crash, since iTunes was first released. If only the iTunes Store and the iTunes client software could go back to being simple again. :mad:

3. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip! I will watch for that!

4. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

How about taking the latest backup from Time Machine and place it on the Desktop. Now delete everything iTunes except the app itself. Deleting the contents of the iTunes folder inside the Music folder should suffice. But be careful because there's also Mobile Applications and iPod Games that you need to take care of because those I'm not sure will be copied back.

Now you should be able to drag the iTunes folder that is now on the Desktop onto a fresh iTunes 10? Use the icon in the Dock. iTunes will now import all songs and podcasts that it finds. And if you are lucky you will be without errors.

I know about the app you speak of that puts music from the iPod and back to the computer but the name escapes me right now. But that was an option too. I'm just afraid that iTunes will do the same that it did before.

This is the path, more or less, that you should taking and drag onto the iTunes Dock icon
    [​IMG]