Updating to Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by richiec, Nov 8, 2008.

1. richiec macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro OSX,with Tiger. How do I go about updating to Leopard?and should I?

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Buy a retail Leopard disk, put it in, restart your computer, and click the "Upgrade" button. If you're fine with Tiger and don't want to spend the $129 then I wouldn't, but there are a lot of nice features of Leopard that once you use you really come to appreciate especially if you have to go to a computer without it.

3. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Hello Rich, I know the retail version of the leopard Upgrade Disc is $129. Sometimes you can find it here or on ebay for cheaper. The way I upgraded my Mac Mini was to buy an OS install disc on ebay for 20-something bucks. It was the disc that came with someones computer (just like mine, but newer). So you might find a MBP install disc on ebay.

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I might be interested in selling my Leopard retail install disc in a few days. I installed it on my iMac but the start up time is just too slow for me to bear so when my external hard drive arrives from Amazon, I'll be downgrading my iMac to Tiger. Leopard runs great on my MacBook though, I would recommend a complete install over an upgrade, that may be why my iMac is running slower.

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yes do it, but things you need to consider

1. Do i have enough ram?
    2. How am i going to back up the unit incase something happens?

Sure the standard mbp has enough ram, but the more you put in it, the better the unit will run. As for backing up the hdd, i would suggest a external drive, which must be bigger then what you have in the laptop now. Use carbon cloner to copy the entire drive over to the external one.

Once that is finished, you can then boot of the drive to see if the clone was sucessfull. Then boot of the os x cd, and do a archive and install. That way it will move the tiger installation to another folder and install leopard whilst keeping all your settings intact.