Updating to Mavericks Broke my Windows Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rayzman18, Oct 30, 2013.

1. rayzman18 macrumors newbie

I updated to Mavericks and now I cannot boot into my windows partition, I have tried repairing and verifying the partition but I get an error message "Disk utility can't repair this disk..." The partition is now called "disks04" rather than Windows which it was called before. Any ideas on what to do?

2. VeganHipster macrumors regular

I posted my thread here but didn't get any responses, so I thought that I would help you out since we have a similar thing going on. My problems was sort of related to Mavericks. Originally, I wanted more space in Bootcamp for games. The method I went about doing this was shrinking the OS X partition in Disk Utilities, and then going into windows and expanding the windows 7 partition to use up the newly available free space. It worked and I was able to use alt to switch between operating systems, but the windows partition was no longer called Bootcamp, it was renamed disk0s4. Not only that, it was no longer mounted and it couldn't be mounted, leaving Parallels and Boot Champ useless. Now after installing Mavericks, my windows drive was completely broken.

What I found, to sum it up- windows is gone and if you are going to want to fix this you are going to have to wipe the whole drive and reinstall OS X. Now when I tried going into disk utilities to wipe and format these drives, I kept getting an error that was along the lines of "couldn't unmount the disk". I read the solution was to make a Mavericks USB recovery drive and boot from it and then go into disk utilities. I am using the guide outlined here. So far, making the USB drive has worked well, but I have not yet tried it out yet because the files were still transferring as I was typing this to you!

I will report back with my findings and let you know if this is the solution.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I've found Boot Camp/BCA not to work so well with Mavericks, especially with Windows 8/8.1. I ended up doing the following in order to get Mavericks and Windows 8.1 to co-exist in reasonable harmony on my late-2011 15-inch MacBook Pro.

1) Clean install of OS X 10.8.5 via USB stick so Boot Camp 5.0 will be available right away.
    2) Download Windows Support Software from Apple (not using Boot Camp Assistant), copy to separate USB drive or DVD.
    3) Run BCA, don't check the box to download the support software, set up partitions as desired.
    4) Install Windows 8 from DVD as normal.
    5) Perform all Windows updates. Reboot as required.
    6) Install Windows support software from USB/DVD by running setup.exe in compatibility mode for Windows 7. Reboot as required.
    7) Remove the display driver (AMD Radeon 6770M in my case) via Windows device manager, which is accessible through control panel/system. Open up the display adapters, right click on the Radeon entry, and select uninstall. Do not reboot.
    8) Remove the Cirrus Logic audio driver through the Programs and Features section of the control panel. It's toward the bottom of the list. Reboot.
    9) Download and install the latest AMD Catalyst Mobility beta display driver. Reboot.
    10) Install Windows 8.1 from the MS "app store." The first reboot after the installation process starts makes it look like the system has frozen, but be patient, it is working.
    11) Once 8.1 has been installed, and you've configured it to your liking, reboot back into OS X.
    12) Set your startup disk to OS X in system preferences. Reboot.
    13) Download and install Mavericks.

This was a lengthy and at times painful process of trial and error, but i think I've got it licked. Step 8 was mainly the issue. The Cirrus Logic audio drivers provided by Apple are the only ones I could find, and I spent a good long while searching for updated ones. The default "high definition audio device" drivers Microsoft provides as part of the standard Windows 8/8.1 installation are more current and perfectly adequate.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

4. rayzman18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but my partition is not worth that much to me. Could I just back up the partition, reformat, and put the backup back? Would the operating system be lost in this process? Honestly I don't even need the state restored, just windows back on there.