Updating to SSD using CCC

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Eric2, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Eric2 macrumors member

I have just installed a 3.5” OCZ Vertex 2 SSD into my 2008 MacPro to replace an old HD that contains OSX and applications. I formatted the SDD with Disk Utility then used Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer the data from my old HD to to the new SSD.

After the transfer I noticed there were 3/4 folders I had never seen before and inside these folders there were numerous other files, many of these had the red minus dot added to them. After restarting the computer they all disappeared so unfortunately cant remember there names. Is this normal, I’m wondering if I had done something wrong? I’m also curious to know what these folders were?

Thanks.

2. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

3. xyzzy-xyzzy macrumors member

Actually they are system files and directories you don't have access privileges for.

The fact that you saw them at all I assume has to do with the fact that the Finder didn't notice that they were to be hidden since they were created by the copy process and also that you were not booted from that disk.

There's lots of directories hidden from user view on the boot volume. For example one such directory is /private. Not all the files in these directories prohibit user access, only certain ones. But they all are generally hidden from "prying eyes" ;)