Updating to Windows 10 under BootCamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by vbedia, Jun 1, 2015.

1. vbedia macrumors regular

I have Windows 8.1 running through BootCamp. Today I have received a notification from Microsoft asking me to queue up for Windows 10 when released in July. My question is whether it is safe enough to update to the new Windows 10 from my BootCamp partition or should I delete my current BooCamp partition and use a USB stick. Thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Installing a Windows upgrade should be no different on your Mac. You can update regularly however Apple may not offer the updated Boot Camp software right away.

3. vbedia thread starter macrumors regular

Are you saying that some things may not work once I update to Windows 10?
    It is possible to update Boot Camp software once Windows 10 has been installed?

Everything works well on Windows 8.1 (wifi, bluetooth, etc) if some of these things may be affected after upgrading I may think it twice. I have not problem pushing further the update.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

While it will likely work without issue, until Apple releases updated Boot Camp software and drivers then it may have some quirks. Read through the other Windows 10 threads on here to get a flavor of current issues.

5. Cidtek macrumors newbie

I get a warning that Apple Broadcom Bluetooth may not work in the Windows 10 update advisory.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You may be able to "side load" the driver after installing Windows 10 by pointing Device Manager to the driver files if it does not work out of the box.

7. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

I get the same windows 10 update warning about the broadcom wifi in my mac pro 5,1 2012. Really hope when 10 comes out that there will be a way to fix it, I use wifi for my net connection.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I anticipate Apple updating the drivers for any machine that is still being shipped. I am not sure about the 2012 Mac Pro however.