Updating to Yosemite

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KF81, May 28, 2015.

1. KF81 macrumors newbie

Hi there, i brought my iMac last year, just before Yosemite was released. I did not know at the time otherwise i would of waited. Doh !

I am currently using Lion 10.8.4

Would it be best for me to get everything backed up, then delete the current OS, so clear the computer as much as possible and then upload the new Yosemite ?

I read that it is the best thing to do. I am afraid that if i just upload Yosemite over the existing OS then it will get all glitchy and slow ext..

I have read stories where people have upgraded to Yosemite and then their computers run slower, are buggier and do not run well.

I know it does not happen to everyone, but i have read stories about it and i do not want to be one of those people.

I was wondering what peoples advice would be on here. I was thinking i could get someone to do it properly for me as i do not know how to do it properly. I may have to pay them £60 or so, but i do not mind if it gets done properly.

Or, should i just upgrade to Yosemite and not worry as all the glitches have been ironed out ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Kevin

2. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

Most glitches are results of people updating the day the new OS comes out. When that happens, it is inevitable that something will not be right somewhere and subsequent software updates are necessary. As of this time, we are a few updates in so there should not be any problems with just updating yourself.

3. KF81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i was hoping you would say that :)

I am going to take the plunge, i am sure it will be okay, i'll let you know !

4. KF81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Even on the App store there were a LOT of people saying they have had problems with the update etc.. I done it yesterday and so far it is working perfectly. Safari seems to load quicker and i personally, like the overall look of it all.

I see no problem whatsoever. Glad i decided to do it.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Your trouble is the belief that the comments on forums are representative of peoples experience in general. People only go on forums when there are problems and even 1000's of people with issues is nothing compared to the millions of macs in use and being updated just as you have with no problems at all.

In other words don't expect what you read on forums to happen to you...

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP:

Do you have an external drive available?

If you're unsure as to whether you'll be happy with Yosemite until you've had a little time to try it and see how it works for you, the best course of action would be to use a cloning app (such as CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper) to create a fully-bootable backup clone of your current 10.8 OS -before- you experiment with Yosemite.

If you discover that you're UNsatisfied with the new OS, it's easy to "get back, get back to where you once belonged" by reverting to the cloned copy.

Alternative:
    Use the external drive on which to install your "test copy" of Yosemite, and leave your internal drive untouched. That's what I've done.

BE AWARE that if you do this, and if the external drive is a platter-based hard disk drive, it will boot and run more slowly than it would from an internal drive, or an SSD.

But that's ok, IF the point is just to "test and evaluate" whether your apps will work for you, and if you like the overall feel, BEFORE you commit yourself to it.

Personal notes:
    I run Yosemite from a 7200rpm HDD via a firewire800 connection. Aside from a slower bootup, it runs quite well after some controversial tweaks I performed. Just not ready to commit everything to it yet, and install it as my "main OS"...

7. KF81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Funny you should say that. I did honestly think that to myself last night. I thought to myself that the only people who will write anything are the people who are complaining.

If it all goes smoothly then usually, you wouldn't go on there. You wouldn't go and complain that it is working properly !

----------

Thanks for the succinct post, it is much appreciated. However, you were too late ! I had done it at the same time as you posted. I thought i would take the plunge and risk it.. I am glad i have as it works fine and now it is fully updated.

i knew what to expect as i have Yosemite on my Mac book :)

Cheers all