Updating Unlocked & Jailbroken iPhone w/ iOS 4.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tallen90, Jul 26, 2011.

1. tallen90 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section or talking complete rubbish, etc.

I own a 16GB iPhone 3GS, which hasn't been updated since the release of iOS 4.0. Originally, it was carrier-locked to Vodafone, but was unlocked by the phone's previous owner, so I now use O2.

So, what I want to do is update my phone to a newer operating system, but apparently there was another iOS update released yesterday which can't yet be jailbroken. This presents a problem for me, since I need my phone to be jailbroken in order for it to be unlocked!

In all honesty, I've never actually understood the unlocking part of the jailbreaking process (all this talk about basebands confuses me!), so I'm not sure what the rules are when updating to a new iOS version.

What I would like to know, therefore, is this - is there any way I can update my iPhone's operating system to a version which is NOT the latest version and which is still unlockable and jailbreakable? It might be completely impossible, I just don't know!

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Tom

2. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

If you go to Cydia and check the top it should show what shsh blobs for the firmwares you have. If you have for 4.3.3 then you are good to go for the latest jailbreak untethered/unlocked. You can make a custom ipsw with pwnagetool or snowbreeze if you are on windows to keep your unlock.

3. tallen90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't understand what you mean. How could I have SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 if I only have iOS 4.0? :confused:

Also, I have another problem; Cydia is crashing at startup. This is one of my main reasons for wanting to update and re-jailbreak my iPhone.

Any advice? :)

Thanks!

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

connect your phone to a PC/mac. Download tiny umbrella and run it. It will be able to query cydia and tell you what SHSH blobs you have saved.

5. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

Cydia will still save blobs even if you haven't updated to that specific firmware. If cydia isn't working out you can dl tiny umbrella for mac & pc and plug in your iphone and click save shsh to see what firmware blobs you have.

6. sbddude macrumors 6502a

and if that doesn't work you can try ifaith and at least get blobs for your current FW.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Your blobs have nothing to do with what is on your phone.