Updating via Personal Hotspot

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TheAppleGeek, Sep 17, 2013.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

Excuse my ignorance, but I have a bit of a question regarding updating to iOS 7 later on this afternoon. I've hit a bit of a financial bump, so for the time being, I am using the Personal Hotspot on my phone for internet. Is it possible to still update to iOS 7 (regardless of how long it takes) without an actual WiFi connection? I don't want to hurt my phone mid-upgrade.

Again, excuse my ignorance. I'm just curious.

2. GeoffreySYD macrumors newbie

3. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great! I didn't want it to crap out halfway and ruin whatever I had.

Thanks!

4. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yep. Silly isn't it. Can't use cellular data on phone to download large update, but turn it in to a hotspot and use your cellular data from a laptop- no problem!

5. ajiuo macrumors 65816

If you have ATT go to McDonalds for lunch.. Most locations have a ATT hotspot.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

What this guy said. And it's not just limited to McDonald's. Half everywhere has free WiFi. Better to do that than use up your data.

7. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

I only have one class tomorrow so I may just do that. Free wifi exists everywhere.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's true if you're talking about a device like an iPad connecting via a phone's personal hotspot (the iPad would think it was on a Wi-Fi network - because it is!).

But it's not true if you're talking about the phone that's acting as a hotspot. All of the cellular data download limits still apply to an iPhone that has the Personal Hotspot feature enabled.

Whether a software update can be downloaded using cellular data is controlled by the carrier.