Updating while Jailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by KageMurphy, May 4, 2011.

1. KageMurphy macrumors newbie

Hey guys question, my iPhone 3GS is 3.1.2 and won't let me down a game called Angry birds cause it says I need 4.0 or higher. Is is safe to hook up my Iphone to the itunes and upgrade up to that while my Phone is jailbroken? I haven't hooked up to iTunes in like 3 months since I Jailbroke my iPhone so I don't know if its safe or will erase everything.

2. RJP31484 macrumors regular

I dont mean to threadjack, but have a related question. I am on 4.2.1, and did an untethered jailbreak through greenp0ison. Is there a way for me to back up my apps(including cydia ones), upgrade to 4.3.2, and then jailbreak again without losing anything?

3. KageMurphy thread starter macrumors newbie

4. johnNYChingaz macrumors member

as of now, if you want to keep your phone jailbroken, you shouldnt, the new 4.3.3 is out and as always theres no jailbreak for it yet

4.3.2 was the last jailbreak you should wait

5. KageMurphy thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks, if I just hook it up to iTune cause I wanna add a CD is that okay? Like just syncing.

6. johnNYChingaz macrumors member

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You should back up your phone on a regular basis. That won't kill your JB. An update, restore or erasing/resetting settings in your phone will kill the JB.

8. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Right. You'll be OK as long as your keep hitting "Cancel" when the pop-up (which will appear when you start to sync) asks if you want to update to the latest iPhone software. You can check a box to have it stop reminding you, but I leave it unchecked so that it reminds me I gotta keep an eye out (basically here) for a new JB.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You don't check the dev team's web site for JB info?
    Also, whenever Apple comes out with a new version, it voids the reminder check box. Feel free to tell it to stop reminding you.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

FYI thread starter since you seemed to get irritated that you didn't get your answer after 31 minutes. :rolleyes: I would suggest google and searching when asking common questions. you can get your answer in seconds rather then minutes or sometimes hours.