Updating Windows 7 on 1,1 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by LOZER, Dec 27, 2009.

1. LOZER macrumors member

I have an 07 1,1 Mac Pro and I was able to purchase a $30 student Windows 7 Home Premium. I have the download version and did not go through BOOTCAMP and did not do a clean install. Everything went great until the very end when, on its last restart, it told me that it could not update and it would reload to the previous version, which is Vista Home Premium and both 32 bit.

I was just wondering if anyone has advise for me that could fix this or why it didn't work? Thanks.

2. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

You dont have to use Bootcamp however seeing as it didn't work. Try doing a complete install rather than an upgrade. You'll lose your Windows files however.

3. LOZER thread starter macrumors member

That im not too worried about. I really dont have much on the windows side that warrants saving. Its just that before It started the upgrade, it asked me to uninstall Bootcamp and im wondering if that was a cause of malfunction.

I know my Mac Pro version is not supposed to be supported for windows 7 in Bootcamp, but there has got to be some way around it. I've seen ways to do it I just don't know if it would work the same as it did in the RC version of Windows 7.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Windows 7 works just fine on a 1,1 Mac Pro. I'm running 64 bit home premium on mine with no trouble.

Since you did an upgrade install, I'd try going back and restarting the install. Boot to your Windows install disc and completely reformat your Windows partition (or drive) and start fresh. There shouldn't be a problem.

5. LOZER thread starter macrumors member

That's my only problem, I only have the download not the disc. I'm sure I can order one from them, but I was kinda hoping I could do it without paying the extra $15 for the disc to be mailed to me.

6. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Simply burn an iso image file of the Windows Installer onto a CD.

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Also note, that you can't install the 64 bit version of Windows 7 over a 32 bit version of Vista; you have to do a full reinstall.

8. LOZER thread starter macrumors member

That's What I figured, but thought I should ask. If I do clean install like that thought, would I have to worry about Bootcamp getting deleted (If I loaded it on the windows side without going through bootcamp on the mac side like I did for Vista.) on the windows side and having no way to get to my windows HD?

9. LOZER thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know but thanks for the heads up anyway.:D I almost went for 64, but I don't do anything on my windows side that really requires more than 4 gb of ram.

10. LOZER thread starter macrumors member

I just reloaded Windows 7 for custom install, with the ISO disc I made from the download(not going thought Boot camp just on windows side) and everything went great, until last reload it said, setup is loading your computer for the first time, then It restarted. Nothing, It keep sending me to reload in safe mode, reload windows or reload from last working configuration. I tried everything and nothing works! Where did i go wrong or should I just reformat on bootcamp and start over with Windows 7?

11. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I've seen this happen on a friend's Alienware PC. Just try doing a complete install (custom) again. It worked on my friend's pc. It's worth a try. Good luck. :) Or else boot into OSX... go into Bootcamp assistant and erase your Bootcamp partition. Then create it again and install Win7 the way you installed Vista.

12. LOZER thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I tried that just a bit ago. Still no go. First, I went into Boot Camp and erased and remade partition, Then retried loading Win 7 on it. When I got to the boot selection page it keep giving me a Windows unable to install to the selected location Error: 0x80300024.Second, I searched the web and people were saying to take out the OSX HD and then it worked for them, just pop it back in after your done. Well, I did that things went good until I still couldn't get passed the Setting up your computer for first use, I only got to that in safe mode. The computer would restart the last time and instead of loading back up it would just sit there black screen not doing anything. I let it sit forever and it would not load or do anything. At first the disc would spin, then It would stop and finally you wouldn't hear anything but the fans going. So, this time I deleted and reformatted on the Windows boot selection and got the same results. Third, I restarted again and it reloaded the disc, to the the beginning where it wants you to Install now. So, On the bottom I clicked repair computer, checked for fixes, All tests say its normal and that the OS booted fine!!!:eek::mad: I tried to load drivers from SL disc, maybe that was the problem, didn't work either. Put OSX drive back, held option key and It came up with the OSX HD and the Windows 7 HD. I clicked Windows and it did the same thing.
    So, now Im back on the Mac side and can see that on the Windows HD there are 9.11 gb on it. :confused:

13. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Seems to me your in a bit of a tickle. Try moving this thread to the Mac Pro forum. You might get some help there.

14. LOZER thread starter macrumors member

Im Thinking It might be my OSX HD. I usually leave me computer on. But lately when I restart or update something and restart it gets hung up like it did when I was loading Win 7. Sometimes it would restart and sometimes it would restart and just sit there, black screen and all. I just tried restarting on OSX and it got hung up and just sat there and I have to manually restart it.

But now thinking abut it I had the hard drive out and It did the same thing so its got to be something else on the computer, but what? Hmmmm....
    My ram. The stock ram wasn't being read so, I took it out and now it restarts no problem, but I still can't get Windows 7 working it just keeps reloading.

15. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

few random questions sort of related to the topic but:

when i install Windows 7 everything is okays, fully updates and everything, but when i start windows on my MBA either 32/64 bit (tried both installations) before it says starting windows there is a black screen with a white underscore flashing... think that is something to do with the CMD but it takes ages to load? does anyone know why this happens?

second - is Stevey phasing out Windows support on Bootcamp... cant install it without a wired keyboard which, incidentally the new iMacs do not ship with - is there any way to get round this? :(

16. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

This is completely normal its part of the Windows Boot Loader. Every mac that uses bootcamp gets that flash.

Apple has said they will update Bootcamp to add support for Win7 therefore they are not phasing it out. Expect official support in Jan. However, this doesn't stop you from installing Win7 on your system. Plus we're talking about an iMac here. Steve Jobs focuses primarily on OSX not Windows. As Windows does not generate him any profit last I checked. :rolleyes: