Updgrade: iPhone 4 to iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hamsterdam, Oct 10, 2013.

1. hamsterdam macrumors newbie

I currently have the iPhone 4 and have no real complaints. It amazes me that any such device could do what it does, but the idea of owning a 5s is tempting. Through the internet rumor mill it appears people are suggesting holding off on buying the 5s in anticipation for the the 6. Unfortunately, that shouldn't be out for another year. If simply the 5 were available, I would make the purchase without hesitation, but since it is no longer available via service providers my only option would be the 5s. Any suggestions here? I'm real close to pulling the trigger. I would also appreciate the extra space as my iPhone is my primary mobile music player.

2. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

If you want it and can afford it, get it.

If you need more space for your music, consider signing up for iTunes Match. That way you really don't have to worry about running out of space, although if you have a low data cap on your cellphone plan, that may not be such a good idea (I typically use up about 2 GB each month with music streaming, but my cap is 6GB, so it's all good).

3. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

I was also reluctant to upgrade from my 4 but finally bit the bullet about 6 months ago. Over the summer, I started using the 4 again for sports tracking as I didn't want to damage the 5 and I already had a lifeproof case for the 4 along with other accessories.

Short story, though the 5 didn't seem like much of an upgrade at the time, going back to the 4 feels horrible IMO. It feels sluggish and looks/feels weird. Even after a two week holiday using the 4 I still hadn't gotten used to it again.

If you don't want to splash out on a contract for a 5s and really can't find a 5 on contract, consider buying one outright. you'd probably get a good chunk of the money from selling your 4.

4. GLR macrumors newbie

Do it!

Hi. I just upgraded from the 4 to the 5S. I've had the 5S about a week. The reason for the upgrade was a very temperamental home button (had to press several times b4 it worked). Anyway, the first thing I noticed was how much faster it was. Well worth it. The finger print scanner is pretty cool as well.

5. Eyden macrumors member

Personally, I think there is no need. anyway, If you want to experience the fingerprint scanner or want to make your iphone quicker, it is worth consideration. You have to make the dicision by yourself.

6. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I'm in the same position as you. Had my iPhone 4 over 3 years now and it feels a little slow, but other than tha it's nothing I badly want that the new iPhones has. So I went and bought an ex demo MacBook Air 11" from an apple shop for less than an iPhone instead

7. Gator1pk macrumors newbie

Gator1pk

Run, don't walk to 5S

Go to the nearest Apple Store and play with the 5C and the 5S. See if you like it. I have a Space Gray 5S and LOVE IT. I came from a 4S, which is faster than a 4. The 5S is lighting fast, very light, much better screen, the LTE speeds that I get are awesome. AT&T has strong signals here in Fort Lauderdale. The camera takes super sharp pictures. I stream music and even tether my MacBook Pro to it. Only you can decide what you want, but suggest seeing for yourself. :apple:

8. oldgeezer macrumors member

I upgraded from the 4 to the 5S the first weekend they were available. The 5S is markedly faster and the screen easier to read. I took advantage of Verizon's trade-in program and, coupled with a 2-year commitment, only paid about $250 for a 32 gb model, including state tax and Verizon's activation fee of $30.

My wife is champing at the bit to trade up her 4 now that she's seen my 5S.

9. afro-ninja macrumors member

You can buy ex-demos?? How much for?

10. ABG macrumors 6502

Agreed - I just bought an iPhone 5 64Gb unlocked for £400 on eBay. Very happy with it especially as it would have cost £700 a few months ago. Last iPhone was a 32Gb iPhone4 which is still worth a couple of hundred pounds.

11. bigfatipod macrumors member

Go for it

Last October, I upgraded from a 4 to a 5. It was certainly worth it. Both of my parents have a 4 and I notice such a huge difference.

I can only imagine your upgrade would be even better.

12. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

My 4s served me well but started having problems of recent with the usb interface. I decided to get a new phone rather than deal with repair costs. I ended up with the 5s because the 5c was not available.

I honestly think that unless someone needs something very specific on the 5s that the 5c by far is a better upgrade for a 4 or 4s than the 5s. The 5c is much like the "5" and in that you get all the goodness related to speed and such.

If my phone had not had issues, I would have perhaps early next year opted for the 5c.

13. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

They always say, "Wait for the next version…" In most cases, you can disregard that - it's your needs that count, not their desire to hold out for new features. And chances are, "they" have at least a 4s. I have a 4, it's been out of contract for more than half a year… I feel like I've waited long enough.

If this was a family, the 4 is great-grandparent to the 5s. You want to wait 'til your 4 is a great-great-grandparent? ;) (Yeah, you could argue that the 4 is the older member of the parent generation, and the 5s is the youngest child of the current generation, but saying that doesn't have quite the same impact…)

So… wait for the hoped-for larger screen, or benefit from LTE speeds for a year? Wait for a processor that will be incrementally faster than the 5s, or take a quantum leap right now? Wait in hopes that Apple will put something mind-blowing into the 6, or enjoy a model that's already way beyond the 4?

Finally, while it's easy to have buyer's remorse if you buy a month before a new model arrives, when it'll be 11-12 months it's far less likely. Even if you do end up with feature envy a year from now, as someone who skipped the 4s and 5 you'll probably feel fine about waiting another year for the 6s.

14. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I have owned the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, Galaxy S3, and just bought the iPhone 5. I would recommend the iPhone 5 over all of them. The iPhone 5 is a huge upgrade from the 4 (I used my friends the other day) so I can assume its worth the money, and you can sell the iPhone 4 to make some money back!