Upg Leopard :: Time Machine & Sharing Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ::Lisa::, Nov 6, 2007.

1. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I wondered if anyone can help me. I upgraded to Leopard today. Everything went very smoothly with the upgrade and it was quite quick.

**edited out as presumed solved by swiftaw (thanks)**

Problem 2 - Sharing stopped working
    I had everything working sharing from Mac OS Tiger to Windows XP set up great before. I could access my files from the XP computer and put things on my Mac from there. I had a shortcut on the XP PC on desktop to the Mac. Since upgrading to Leopard the shortcut doesn't work. I can access from My network places but it doesn't give me "desktop, documents, music etc" options as it did before. Just gives 2 folders "public folder and printers" and when I click on the public folder it won't let me in, nor asks for passwords. I've tried accessing via IP address both on the before \\192.168.1.5\mymacpid (which worked before) and just the IP. Neither work now. I do have windows sharing etc set up. Please could anyone help me with getting this to work again. Thanks in advance.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You can only use Time Machine with an external drive. If you have no external drive connected it will not show any available drives in time machine.

3. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that. I will have to get my external hard drive working again for that one.

Anyone have any idea about the file sharing? It's driving me bonkers now, sat here trying to figure it out. The only thing I can think of is that the "windows sharing" thing has gone in Leopard meaning that the windows PC won't connect now. I really need to get a file off there that's too big to send via email and my external is broken. Sods law :(

4. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone? Even if you could link me to a step by step Leopard sharing tut would be better than nothing. :(:(:(

5. jjo macrumors member

I have issues with sharing with XP, too. I think you need to have your WINS workgroup set in your Mac OSX to match the workgroup of the PC you're trying to reach.

Kind of a pain if you have a network with multiple workgroups.

This wasn't an issue in Tiger. Hopefully Leopard 10.5.1 will fix this.

6. armani macrumors regular

I have the same problem. I can access my pc from mac, but if I try to access my mac from pc - I have only printers sharing available. I turned on file sharing on mac, clicked on all FTP and SMB, set up WIN subfolder in Network-advanced-WIN - does not work. Called Apple, seemed like the guy knew nothing, kept going back and forth to his supervisors. Finally, after 50 min, told me that XP does not recognize new OS. So, I have no idea now what to do. And I don't believe it is an issue, I guess they just don't know what to do and blame windows machine. It worked with Tiger just fine. Did I spend the money to keep running into problem after problem with Leopard?:mad:

7. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi all, I've fixed the sharing with the PC, I'm able to get the files from the PC no problem. I spoke to a nice gentlemen on the phone about this in my area, an authorised dealer and he stayed on the phone and walked me through several steps. Very good service to say I didn't buy the laptop from them, and nor are they apple!!!

While on the phone to him I realised another problem. The PC can see the Mac and get in and see list of folders inside my docs but if it tries to get inside those or copy folders etc my Mac won't let it. He told me to go to disk utility and verify permissions. There was an error but not that and still have same problem. It's only that, that's stopping me now.

I was also advised to do a clean install of Leopard but worried about that. Wish I'd of done that in the first place but didn't know and what you don't you you can't do nothing about :eek:

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just a suggestion to ::Lisa::, don't edit out your original question.

Some people might find this thread based on a similar problem they are having on the subject or the responses, and because you edited out your Question #1, people won't have a clue what this is about.

I like to use these forums as a reference for things. If I can find it in a search, no need to open a new thread on it.

-Kevin

9. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Only edited out as there was a large screen print and besides people were answering that q and missing the 2nd which I needed solving in more urgent basis.

It was only a Q as to why Time machine wasn't listing any drives.

10. julystuart macrumors newbie

Please share file sharing solution

Dear ::Lisa::,
    Can you share the information about how to solve the xp-leopard file sharing problem? I'm having the same problem and could use some tips. Any information about what the nice man on the phone told you would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, --Josh