Upgd 3G fm 3.0 to 3.1.2 Procedure?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DuggerSJ, May 10, 2010.

1. DuggerSJ macrumors newbie

Hi folks,
    I have a jailbroken & unlocked (used RedSn0w) 3G running 3.0 that I want to upgrade to either 3.1 or 3.1.2 so I can run a couple of applications which require 3.1 or higher.
    I've searched around and haven't found what I consider straight forward information. So my question is do I use the Pwnage tool to modify a 3.1.2 firmware and then restore from that, then use RedSn0w to unlock again?
    If I use the Pwnage tool to create a custom IPSW, do I tell it to activate or not?
    If TheLatinist has any tutorials/stickies on this, please let me know.
    Thanks for reading this and any assistance you can provide.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Pwnage Tool to create a 3.1.2 IPSW preserving your 4.26.xx baseband (so you can unlock with Ultrasn0w)
    Be careful and don't select 3.1.3 by mistake.
    Pwnage Tool IPSW is a jailbreak, once you install it with iTunes, you are jailbroken.
    Only check the activate box if you plan to unlock with Ultrasn0w, if on official carrier or factory unlocked, do not "hacktivate".

Go to iClarified for a tutorial.

3. DuggerSJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information!

One last question...can I do the pwn'ing on my Mac then restore from my PC where my iPhone sync's at? Should I have my AT&T chip in the phone or does it make a difference when I jailbreak/unlock?

4. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Yes, you can make the custom FW on your mac, then restore on itunes using your PC.
    If you have an AT&T chip, keep it in the phone and activate it officially. Then you can unlock it and replace the SIM. do not hacktivate( as dhlizard says) with this method, when creating the FW.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed 110%

Plus with official sim activation, your push notifications will work.

6. Ben- macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm in the same situation with the same specifications as the OP.
    I just installed Pwnage Tool 3.1.5 on my mac and I'm wondering which setting do I check off to preserve my baseband? I see a baseband setting under "Bootneuter", but everything is greyed out.

Also, do I need to bother with the Cydia packages or Custom packages?

Thanks!