Upgrade 10.5.8 to Yosemite

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mgpg89, Aug 13, 2015.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I found an old MacBook Pro that has 10.5.8 installed and would like to upgrade to Yosemite.
    What's the fastest, most hassle-free way to do so?

I already created a bootable Yosemite installer (USB thumb drive), but this wouldn't work.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

What does "wouldn't work" mean?
    Exactly which computer do you have? Not every MacBook Pro can run Yosemite.

3. The Economist, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015

The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

Yeah, first make sure your computer is compatible. These Mac models are compatible with OS X Yosemite:
    • iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    • Xserve (Early 2009)
    More information here.

Are you sure you are running 10.5.8? Because then you seem to be running Leopard. You first need to update to OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6.8). If you don't have a copy of Snow Leopard you need to buy it and then you can install Yosemite.

At least that's how it works when using the Mac App Store. If you are trying to install from a thumb drive then I don't know what's going on.

4. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

It's a 2009 MacBook Pro, so it's supported.
    The thumb drive I made won't work because "the architecture isn't supported" (crappy translation probably)

So first upgrade to Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Yosemite, is that right?
    If so, can I upgrade to SL using a thumb drive?

5. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

I don't know if you can upgrade to SL that way, you'll have to ask someone else. As far as I know SL only comes in DVD's.

I'm just guessing here but I don't see why you couldn't install Yosemite directly from Leopard. You only need SL in order to install the Mac App Store and then being able to download and install a newer version of OS X but you already have a newer version.

You should search around for more information or wait and see if someone knows more about this.

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

It sounds like the error you are getting is the installer that was created is for PowerPC architecture.
    How did you make the USB thumb driver installer? Did you do it like this: http://www.macworld.com/article/2023548/dvd-less-snow-leopard-installation-on-older-mac.html

7. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Apparently, Yosemite can only be installed on machines w/ Snow Leopard (or higher).
    So I installed SL with a thumb drive and am currently downloading Yosemite via MAS.

Thanks for the help!

8. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Glad I was able to help.