Upgrade 11 Days Early?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kevsta26, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

I'm planning on preordering the 6S on it's estimated preorder date, September 11th.
    My contract upgrade date isn't until 11 days later on the 22nd.
    Do you think Verizon will let me upgrade early? They have let me in the past, but I'm wondering if they will this year or not.

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

If they let you in the past why wouldn't they now? This is not likely to be an uncommon occurrence for them, and it makes little sense for them to stop a costumer from upgrading a few days or even weeks early. They're getting to keep you as a customer for another two years! If they give you any trouble about wanting to upgrade and sign a new contract 11 days early, tell them that you'll gladly wait the 11 days... and then take your business elsewhere. Remember, you're paying them. They're not the only carrier who will be offering the 6s on contract. They should be more than willing to offer a little flexibility in order to keep you as a customer.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps by way of their Edge program. In the past prior to Edge (and ATT's Next), VZW almost never bumped up the contract date so you could take advantage.

My advice, just wait the 11 days and order the phone when you can. Waiting a couple of weeks isn't the end of the world :)

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

For some it does seem to be just that ! :confused:

6. willmtaylor, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The carriers have, as of late, been clambering to cannibalize each other's customer base as smartphone adoption is all but saturated. They have let those with close upgrade dates upgrade early the last couple of years do so. So I don't see why that would change now.

That being said, how carriers are selling phones has also changed, so we'll see how that comes into play this time around.

7. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I know when I was with Verizon in the past they told me no more than 7 days earlier. But as someone else mentioned, you might be able to upgrade through the Edge program.

8. Speedman100 macrumors 6502

Speedman100

Two lines on my account show they can be upgraded months early, but it requires you to trade in your old phone and switch to the new device payment thing. So that's probably not helpful lol

9. Kevsta26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know that last year Verizon gave everyone their upgrades 2 months early a few days after the iPhone 6 preorders. If they can't give me my upgrade a week and a half early, then that's honestly not fair. But, it's not like they care anyways. They just want money.

Well it kind of feels like the end of the world when you have to wait a couple days and, due to expected high demand, the phone you want to order is now backordered 1-2 months.. But, I guess that's just first world problems, right?

Well I'm just worried they won't because I've been reading how they don't want people to be on contracts anymore and they're trying as hard as they can to stop that and move people to their new system.

Probably, but I'm not interested in getting into the Edge payments right now.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just fail to see the problem of waiting a few days. I guess I'm just odd like that.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

In the context of MRForums, you're probably correct. :D

12. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I agree with you. I think some people are worried it'll be unavailable for an extended period of time if they don't get it day one though.

13. Kevsta26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

1-2 months isn't a few days :p at least not when it comes to Apple fans. Last iPhone preorder I had to wait until late October. The preorder before that, late November. I have no hope the demand won't be as great this year as all the previous. iPhones always have high demand, even if they're just S upgrades.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I waited until November to get an IP6+, I waited until August to get an apple watch. Good things come to those who wait ;)

If you really want to pre-order on day 1, you can pay full price, or use VZW's next program. That's basically you're only choice as I see it. They're not going to bump up dates on a program that they've largely discontinued.

15. Kevsta26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If all else fails, I'll probably just wait the extra 4 days. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll give me an early upgrade, or the 6S won't be as backordered this year. I am planning on getting a less demanded configuration this year, so that could help? :p Just trying to think on the positive side.

16. iApple_man, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015

iApple_man macrumors regular

iApple_man

If you have a older phone that you don't mind trading in, activate that one and then turn that one in. I just did that with my upgrade. I turned in my blackberry Storm 2. The phone just has to be in great shape and mine was. Keeping old phones in good shape finally paid off.:D

17. Kevsta26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I looked on Verizon's site, and I do have an early upgrade now, but only if I go with device payments. I'd be willing to go to device payments only if it wasn't bringing the price of my already expensive phone bill up $7 a month... I thought this was suppose to be saving us money?

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

I have to say it's interesting reading all these threads with people posting issues related to being on contract. I haven't been on a contract for a few years now and have been buying my phone outright and sim/contract free unlocked. I may end up paying more money in the long term but I like the freedom and flexibility. I appreciate not everyone can afford to buy phones outright and in the US options for mobile phones in terms of tariffs/contracts/locked/unlocked are more restrictive then here in the UK.

19. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

I'm not entirely sure how things work differently in the US but every UK contract supplier I know of will let you upgrade early for the price that is the remainder of your bills and a small admin charge of around 1 - 4%. I know that if I were to ask my network (EE) to upgrade me 11 days earlier the cost would either be negligible around the £15 mark or they may possible even waiver it as a gesture of good will and just let me have what I want to keep me as a customer.

20. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

I'm with AT&T and wasn't showing eligible for a full upgrade until 9/21 but when I checked this morning it shows I'm eligible for full subsidy price now. You might check and see if Verizon did the same thing.

I guess AT&T customer service doesn't have any idea how their system works because I talked to two different reps as well as one live chat last week and they all said there was no way I could upgrade before the 21st without having to pay the reduced subsidy price of $250 unless of course I wanted to use the NEXT program.

21. Kevsta26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, Verizon didn't do anything like that :( I made a big rant on their forums and their Twitter and they're currently looking at my Verizon account to see what they can do, so hopefully they can bump it up for me.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

A big ran
    A big rant all over the place b/c they're sticking to the contract and you're upset about this?

As has already been mentioned, just see what happens. They've fudged them before and very well could again, but the iPhone announcement hasn't even happened yet. Hijacking ATT threads and throwing fits is unbecoming.