Upgrade 1st Gen 12.9" now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Adelphos33, May 29, 2018.

  1. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    #1
    It's looking more and more likely that there won't be iPad Pros until spring/summer next year... My current iPad is working fine, but I'd like pro motion and the improved camera over the next year or so. I'm fine on storage and processing power. Should I buy the latest 12.9" now, or wait another year? What are others in this situation doing?
     
  2. ericwn macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2016
    #2
    I personally don‘t see enough value in the features you mention. My first generation Pro is plenty powerful and will serve me a good while longer still.

    Apple has a generous return policy - if you can swing it, get the iPad and try it out for two weeks to see if the changes justify the extra money. If not, return the iPad and use what your have.
     
  3. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

    Ghost31

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2015
    #3
    As someone that moved from a first gen 12.9 to a 2nd, don’t do it man. The changes are totally not worth. It’s a cool “hey that’s nice” set of features but not worth getting a whole new device for. Trust me
     
  4. robertpetry macrumors 6502

    robertpetry

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Location:
    Indianapolis, IN
    #4
    Wow. Next summer? I have been following all the threads on this topic and I would bet my house that you are incorrect about that. Next summer? A year from now? No way Apple waits that long.

    My belief from the processor leaks is that they will be announced in October, right after iOS 12 is released.
     
  5. Alaxlmartin macrumors regular

    Alaxlmartin

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2018
    #5
    Waiting for meaningful upgrade, in same spot.
     
  6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

    xraydoc

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2005
    Location:
    192.168.1.1
    #6
    The battery on my 1st gen 12.9” iPP is getting pretty bad. If there’s no new iPP this summer, I may replace it with a 10.5” model now and buy a new 12.9” (or equivalent) in another 18 months.

    Really hoping there’s a new one coming soon.
     

Share This Page