Upgrade 2.26 Octo?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mustard Chops, Aug 15, 2010.

  1. Mustard Chops macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2007
    #1
    Hey guys, is it worth me selling my 2.26 octo with 8GB RAM, GT120 & 4870 and upgrading to either the Hex 3.33 or the Octo 2.4?

    My current machine was a replacement from apple for my 2.8 octo. I was always a little bummed out for losing the clock speed of that machine but apple were not budging from what they were offering.

    I'm not sure I'll ever need more than 16Gb of RAM but would like the higher clock speed of the Hex.

    It looks like a lot of people seem to think the single socket mac pro's arent worth buying but the hex seems like it would be a good fit for me on paper.

    I mainly use Aperture, Photoshop and a little Final Cut...

    How much do you think I coud realistically get for my current machine now?
     
  2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
    #2
    If you can live with the lower maximum memory limit then it sounds like it'd be a better fit to you. The 2.26 Octo Mac Pro was underpowered in my opinion, the 2.8GHz Mac Pro from 2008 was faster on the whole and cheaper. The only thing the 2.26GHz Octo could win in was seriously well multithreaded code that could utilise Hyperthreading. It was an embarrassment that Apple went with the 2.26 instead of the 2.4 or 2.66GHz stock speeds in the Octo.
     
  3. Mustard Chops thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2007
    #3
    That's what I was thinking Spanky, I did try and push for a faster clock speed on the replacement but they were not budging.

    Any ideas on resale value? I saw a 2.8 octo with 2gb ram and stock video card go for £1400 yesterday on ebay.
     
  4. Tutor, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  5. gstrain33 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2010
    Location:
    Belfast, Ireland
    #5
    Hi Mustard Chops,

    I was wondering about the same thing myself...

    Did you find out anything about the resale values and stuff? I use Aperture and photoshop as well, (freelance photographer) so it could be a good idea, although I can't say that the 2.26 eight core machine is slow by any means.. Not from my experience anyway. So, I'm kinda thorn to be honest. I mean would it really be worth the time and effort to sell and replace (a one year old machine)? .. Also, I was thinking of what I heard about the up coming CS6 which will be able to utilize all available cores apparently (I've no idea how true that is, considering it's adobe we're talking about, and I don't think they're very fond of our choice of platform at the moment plus I read it on here somewhere, so I think this particular information should be taken with a pinch of salt), and the fact that I'd lose four RAM slots..

    Anywyas, it's an interesting thing to be thinking about, so let me know if you managed to find out more, or you could maybe post some thoughts on the six core machine if you went ahead with replacing the eight core.

    Thanks for the attention, and have a nice day.
     
  6. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    Location:
    Cambridge, MA
    #6
    Are you actually noticing any slow down with your current workflow?

    Or do you just have the upgrade bug? :)
     
  7. Tutor, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  8. eponym macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2010
    #8
    Personally I think it would be a waste of money to upgrade right now. Just buy a SSD for your boot drive and hold out for another year.
     
  9. skiffx macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    #9
    +1
     
  10. strausd macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    Texas
    #10
    An SSD is definitely a big upgrade. But chances are nothing new will be out in a year. Will probably have to wait til Q4 2011 or early 2012. My guess is 2012 considering it took so long for Apple to put hexa-cores in the MP.
     
  11. Mustard Chops thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2007
    #11
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

    I'll be honest in so far as I was always thinking of cashing in this Mac Pro when an update appeared.

    As far as I can tell none of the apps that I use really take advantage of many cores and feel that a higher clock would benefit me. Even 2 instances of handbrake only use 70% of the CPU. I did render out a 65 image slideshow from aperture in 1080p and it seemed to take an age...

    When the updates were initially announced I figured that I'd just grab a 5870 and maybe an SSD and leave it at that.

    I'm just thinking of maximising the resale now whilst the machine is not that old...
     
  12. skiffx macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    #12

    You just want latest and the greatest ;) Well if you can fetch a decent price for it, go for the hex :)
     
  13. wa5655 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2010
    #13
    I know you are another member have done this before. Could you please kindly share how hard it is in reality to properly replace the 2xXeons in the 2009 MP. Is there video/guided steps for this? I am quite interested. Thanks much!
     
  14. Tutor, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  15. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #15
    Upgrade to the 6-core 3.33GHz is a fine choice. Will definitely be faster. The 8-core 2.4GHz isn't a good upgrade. The latter won't be any better.
     
  16. wa5655 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2010
    #16
    Many thanks! I will do my readings for now. Thanks again!!
     
  17. Mustard Chops thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2007
    #17
    If I can raise the funds through resale I'm going for the Hex 3.33, with 8GB and a 5870. I'll also look to get an ssd for boot at the same time.

    I had a good look at Diglloyd today and figured that this is where the smart money lies...
     

Share This Page