Upgrade 2.66 processors?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CTYankee, Sep 18, 2008.

1. CTYankee macrumors 6502

All I can find is an old article that details how to get the 2ghz quad core processors into a Mac Pro. Any reports on using the newer processors in the 1st gen Mac Pro 2.66?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Penryn based processors don't work on the original Mac Pros (1,1). The most you can hope for is clovertown quadcores. Even if you can get good prices on them and get something for your 2.66Ghz it'll probably work out being close to the same cost as selling your current system and buying a newer 2.8GHz based refurb or used system.

3. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

No good deals on Newegg, but on eBay I see several for $229+shipping. 2.16x4 is faster than 2.66x2, right?

I'm not looking to upgrade from my 2.66 but it's interesting to know it can be done for $500ish.

Would it be plausible to upgrade them one at a time? Need the two (multi-core) processors match for any reason?

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It might offer more time saved on applications that can make use of lots of coures and need to be allowed to do a lot of processing, but not for general computing. At this stage going for anything less than a 2.66GHz or 3GHz clovertown is a downgrade really. Though with those processors you linked to as they are engineering samples they have a lower FSB and can be overclocked to 2.66GHz by raising the FSB from 1066 to 1333, but I believe it is still a complicated process.