Upgrade 2009 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wordlessjam, Mar 10, 2015.

1. wordlessjam macrumors member

wordlessjam

Hi

I've got a 2009 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo and it's starting run sluggish. Do you think it's a good idea to upgrade the hard drive to an SSD and upgrade the RAM to get more life out of the machine or to buy a new one all together?

I need it for general computing but also want to put windows on either a VM or using bootcamp for engineering programs such as Autodesk Revit and Robot.

2. maclaw21 macrumors regular

Upgrading to a SSD will do you wonders. It did for my late 2008 MB (aluminum). I currently have 4gb of RAM, which works ok. I may try to bump up to 8 GB.

Either way, the decision on whether to just up and by a new computer is personal to your situation and whether you're willing to give upgrading your RAM and HD a shot.

3. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

Agreed - my sister has a 2009 MBP and just going from 2GB to 8GB worked wonders for the speed of the machine. I think an SSD and RAM upgrade would really give your '08 MB a lift, just a question of whether you think the money is worth it vs. spending more for a new machine. It'll definitely get more life out of it, for sure.