Upgrade 2010 macbook Pro to SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by golfing bob, Mar 11, 2016.

1. golfing bob macrumors member

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro that has never been upgraded. I plan to replace the HD with an SSD. I do not plan to save all my pictures or documents-I just want the Operating system and apps to be carried over. Will this be an issue or will I have to clone the entire existing drive to the SSD? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I believe your vintage MBP can boot from internet recovery.

You'd basically pop in the SSD, boot from recovery mode, format the drive in disk utility, download the OS and you're done.

3. kaiju_wars macrumors member

kaiju_wars

You want the apps to be carried over?

Here you go, buy this with the SSD.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZJI84?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
    Then download a program called Super Duper!

I've used this on my personal MacBook and I can assure you, it copies over the OS and all the apps just fine.

That's the way I know how to do it. Unfortunately, it does copy over photos and documents (though I think Super Duper! does allow you to deselect those, but don't quote me on that) but you could delete them after the cloning anyways, or before.

4. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

The 2010 doesn't come with firmware support for internet recovery. But if using a time machine backup, should be able to replace the hard drive, boot off of the external time machine backup, and restore to the drive. Or use cloning software.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313

If it is a mid-2010 it would have Internet recovery.