Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

150-cav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
can anybody give me any advice on upgrading my 21.5" imac hard drive

i have seen videos on how to change a 24" imac's hard drive and i read that it's almost the same just with the new models you have to buy the same brand of hard drive.

any help would be great

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
can anybody give me any advice on upgrading my 21.5" imac hard drive

i have seen videos on how to change a 24" imac's hard drive and i read that it's almost the same just with the new models you have to buy the same brand of hard drive.

any help would be great

You don't have to buy the same brand hard drive... What advice are you looking for? The surgery is quite similar to 24" so just look at the 24" vids and follow them

150-cav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
You don't have to buy the same brand hard drive... What advice are you looking for? The surgery is quite similar to 24" so just look at the 24" vids and follow them

awesome, i kinda figured it was the same set up but i didn't want to tear into my imac ad then be like "oh ****"

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
awesome, i kinda figured it was the same set up but i didn't want to tear into my imac ad then be like "oh ****"

Here is teardown of 27" iMac, 21.5" should be pretty same. The hardest thing is to remove the display, after that you just replace the HD

nasabaer

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
Remember to get a new HDD from the same manufacture because you need a special cable for the HDD temp sensor.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Remove the glass part of the screen takes but seconds.

And there may be no need to actually remove the screen part from the iMac, just prop it up and slide the drive out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.