Upgrade 24" iMac Hard Drive???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by icemantx, Jun 15, 2011.

1. icemantx macrumors regular

I have an early 2009 iMac with a 1 TB Hard Drive I am considering upgrading to 2 or 3 TB. The main reason is that I had to offload my itunes library due to space issues on my iMac. The main reason I would like to have more space internal is when using Apple TV, it seems like now with my library on an external drive, I always have to restart iTunes and sometimes speed to display photos/videos on my Apple TV has gone down.

So my main question is what kind of hard drive should I purchase? Will replacing the hard drive void my AppleCare that runs through March 2012? Is there a better external drive I should be using than the old 640 GB Western Digital My Book?

Thanks for the help!

2. Spike88, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

I've always had good luck with WD drives. They've always treated me well. I hear 2 TB and 3 TB drives are now very affordable.

Not too sure about AppleCare details. Especially when it involves "custom" internal upgrades - done by the user. If DIY installed or Apple Tech installed, not too sure of the exact internal HDD that must be used. Or, if any special cabling (and custom heat sensors) are needed as well.

It it was my older iMac, I'd probably install an external HDD via FW or USB Port. Use FW port - if FW port is availble. I'd put my less used Data Files on this external HDD. And, store my most often used Data on the internal HDD. Thus, having faster access. If using an external HDD, it can also be connected to your future Mac replacement. re: If you replace your older iMac with a new 2011+ iMac in the near future.

Hope this helps - some how...