Upgrade 3GS 04.26.08 to 4.0GM

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sp71Supra, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Sp71Supra macrumors regular

I am a little rusty on the whole jailbreak since its been almost a year since I went through it. Heres what I want to do.

I have a jailbroke and unlocked 3GS on 3.0 w/ baseband 04.26.08 which I DEFIANTLY want to keep for tethering purposes. I want to upgrade to 4.0, keep my baseband, then re-jailbreak, and use Ultrasnow 0.92 to unlock. What is the best method to tackle this? Its VERY important that I do not upgrade the baseband and that I can unlock it. If I loose those 2 things... im screwed.

- Restore to 4.0GM without upgrading baseband (will the baseband stay if I upgrade but click cancel on carrier update file or will it automatically update it?)
    - Jailbreak (What method to use?)
    - Add the url for Ultrasnow 0.92

Is it that easy to have 4.0 on a 3GS and still keep tethering and unlock? Or do I have to do this another way to keep my baseband and upgrade to JB 4.0, like a custom IPSW?

Thanks

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The only way you can upgrade to 4.0 without upgrading your baseband is to use a custom firmware created with PwnageTool. You will need to wait for a new release that will work with 4.0, but that should only be a day or two. This will allow you to upgrade while preserving your baseband. As an added bonus, your phone will already be jailbroken as soon as it reboots. You can then unlock using ultrasn0w in exactly the same way you unlocked your phone on 3.0.

You should be aware that the currently available tethering hacks do not work with 4.0. Neither does MyWi. I have heard that PDANet does still work, but have not been able to confirm this. If you rely on thethering, you may want to hold off on your upgrade until new tools are released.

3. jnoriega23 macrumors newbie

Same here...

Hello, I need the exact same thing as you. I'm still on 3.0 because I was never able to figure out a way to upgrade to 3.1 on a windows machine. I don't really care about the tethering, but I do want to upgrade to 4.0 and keep my baseband at 04.26.08. I'm also on a 3GS. Please, if you find out how to do this, let me know...

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Everyone just wait till the jb tools like pwnage and redsnow are out.
    Don't rush, good things come to those who wait.