Upgrade 5 to...... what are the main differences?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samwise, Sep 20, 2017.

1. samwise macrumors regular

So, as our iPhone 5 32Gb phones are getting a little long in the tooth now.. :D

We're looking at upgrading, but want to keep to a similar price point as when we bought these in 2013, but with more storage. Full price was, I think, $679 back then,

From what I can tell, this gives us the options of:

SE 128GB $449
    6S 128GB $549
    6S Plus 128GB $649
    7 128GB $649
    8 64GB $699

I guess that the SE is just a more advanced version of our current iPhone 5 models (same form factor, plus Touch ID and faster internals).

Obviously, the 6S Plus gives the biggest screen for a similar price point.

The 8 would be nice, but half the storage capacity of the other options. We like storage partly because having two boys 4 and under in the house does mean a lot of photos and videos being taken and stored on the phones for a while.

What would push people to any particular option? All of them will be an improvement to one degree or another over our current phones.

2. KrisLord macrumors 65832

The SE has the same processor as the 6S and 6S plus, so it’s 2 generations faster than your 5.

Going from a 5 to a plus sized phone is a big jump, so unless that’s a deliberate choice having held one I’d rule it out.

I’ve a 5 year old daughter, and you only need storage if they’re watching videos on your phone and you don’t have a lot of data. You can use iCloud to store photos pretty cheap.

Given you’ve kept the 5 so long, I’d go for the 7 or 8. I think the storage on the 8 at 64GB is enough for most people so I’d go for that but the 7 is a great phone.

3. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

I’m still using an iPhone 6. Over the last few years the only Apple feature that I wish I had was Live Photos. That started with the 6s. I really don’t care about the other stuff and don’t consider them worth the extra $30 or $40 per month for a new phone. If my phone were to die I might consider the SE since i can’t justify $800 for a new phone. I can afford it but just feels odd spending that much on a phone.

4. jeyf macrumors 65816

i have a 5.0 and looking to upgrade to a 7/7+
    for thrifty peeps who just talk, text, infrequent GPS or surfing a $1000 phone makes no sense.

-get the red phone 7/7+. The red assures the phone, while being a 7 is only 6mo old. If you have homophobic issue with the red color get a case.

i did some research on the 7/7+ as a iphone 8 alternative:
    iPhone 7/7+ Red Special Edition
    introduced march 24th 2017
    electrically same as the previous 7/7+
    i am thinking benefit of fewer battery charge cycles and less mechanical wear
    the better iPhone7/7+ Qualcomm modem chips (iPhone model# A1660 & A1661) can be found in Verizon, Sprint, and SIM-unlocked iPhones. iPhones on other networks are using the Intel modems (iphone model# A1778 & A1784). Also testing shows the iPhone7/7+ 32GB iPhones, processing speeds are slower than the 128GB or 256GB models.

good luck in your search.

5. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

Similar situation to you. I am in the process of upgrading my 5S since it's battery is going. I chose to upgrade to an SE. I like it's size and a 32GB SE is like literally $200 brand new on eBay. Can't go wrong.

6. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

If you care about headphone jack, get the 6S, if not, get the 7.

7. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I was on the 16gb 5 and just bought a refurb 6S 64GB last week. This'll do me for the next 5 years.

8. geta macrumors 6502a

I upgraded few days ago from 16GB 5 to 128GB SE, it was easy decision coz i like the small screen, size, weight, and the 6s specs fit my needs.

9. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I'd go for the 7+ if you're looking for high storage, or 8 if you're looking for newer tech to last long time. If you want to keep phone for long time again I'd go for 7 or 8. Don't go with anything older (including SE) because you'll want this phone to last you another 5 years. Great job holding on to 5 for so long. If longevity is your goal get the 7 or 8.

10. lyceumHQ macrumors 65816

lyceumHQ

Going from a 5 to any of those you'll see a big jump speed wise.

I went from a 5 to a 6s and it was like night and day. I'd always say get the latest. Especially if you want longevity. The 8 will be viable the longest. Although more expensive.

11. mwhals macrumors 6502

mwhals

7 128 GB if you want more storage and larger. SE if you want to keep the same size phone.