Upgrade 6+ to X Transfer

Crelox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am upgrading from a 6+ to a X. I have backed up my 6+ locally on my computer. When I get my new X, what is my best option for moving my apps and screens/folders to the new phone? Am I better off making it a new phone and spending a great deal of time getting my apps and stuff reloaded and organized? Or can I reliably restore a backup to this phone?

gpoop

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2017
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am upgrading from a 6+ to a X. I have backed up my 6+ locally on my computer. When I get my new X, what is my best option for moving my apps and screens/folders to the new phone? Am I better off making it a new phone and spending a great deal of time getting my apps and stuff reloaded and organized? Or can I reliably restore a backup to this phone?
You can restore everything to the new phone.

Here's what you do: Once your new phone comes in, sync your current phone to Itunes. Then follow the directions in the box that comes with the new phone. Once your number ports to the new phone plug it into your computer. Once Itunes recognizes the new phone click restore from last back up and everything will be put onto your new phone.

Have been doing this since I got my first Iphone, which was the 4 and had the 5,6,7, and now the X. Took me years to build everything on my phone to what it is today. No way am I just going to un do all that.

Reactions: twowinns

Crelox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
You can restore everything to the new phone.

Here's what you do: Once your new phone comes in, sync your current phone to Itunes. Then follow the directions in the box that comes with the new phone. Once your number ports to the new phone plug it into your computer. Once Itunes recognizes the new phone click restore from last back up and everything will be put onto your new phone.

Have been doing this since I got my first Iphone, which was the 4 and had the 5,6,7, and now the X. Took me years to build everything on my phone to what it is today. No way am I just going to un do all that.
Great, thanks. I just remember hearing in the past it was always better to start as a new phone because of concerns that using a restore would migrate some sort of “unwanted data” from the previous generation of phone that would make the newer phone theoretically less stable. Sort of the same argument about upgrading vs clean installing a computer OS.

Glad to see there is no concern because I, like you, have a lot of stuff on my phone arranged how I like it. Especially with iTunes changed and not being able to manipulate apps etc. with it, I’d like to simply move everything over.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yes, do a restore from back up. Starting from scratch is a PITA and time waster. No reason to do it unless you want to start with a totally clean slate. But if you like your current iPhone set up and settings restore is the only way to go.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
Can you do this and not have all your pics moved to new phone? And email, I dont want any messages moved either. Thanks