Upgrade a 2009 Quad Core with nPro coming?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cubemmal, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

I have a 2009 Quad Core/5770 Radeon which has been problematic, due to Apple bugs and whatnot (USB, eSATA) but which is now, finally well behaved. I'm planning on getting a new Mac Pro too. I'm wondering whether it's worth upgrading or all, or keeping that money for the new Pro. I'll be keeping both computers, the old pro will be reserved for software development.

I understand I can actually upgrade the CPU to a hexacore? How much does that run? The other upgrades are graphics cards, but I don't want anything that will be noisier than my present setup.

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I wouldn't bother if you're getting a new one. It could be $1000 flushed right there, and you said it's currently working fine.

3. spunkgarLEWII macrumors regular

Unless you need Thunderbolt and your workspace looking like spaghetti with wires and cables externally sticking out, I wouldn't even bother.

4. MacVidCards Suspended

A little known fact is that you can place a new processor tray in your machine and end up with a 12 core. Not cheap, but with the rather disappointing initial Geekbench scores the new iCan has scored (front page story) it looks like you can actually end up with a better machine that way.