Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
So, my contract ends on the 23rd, and if the new iPhone comes out before then, by maybe a few days, will i be able to get it on launch day? I don't have an edge plan, just a regular 2gb data plan with talk and text. Should I call verizon and talk to them about letting me just add 2 years to my contract? Thanks!

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
So, my contract ends on the 23rd, and if the new iPhone comes out before then, by maybe a few days, will i be able to get it on launch day? I don't have an edge plan, just a regular 2gb data plan with talk and text. Should I call verizon and talk to them about letting me just add 2 years to my contract? Thanks!

If you pay the early upgrade fee you'll be able to. Otherwise you're likely out of luck.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Carriers are usually lenient esp with just a few days but it depends on who you talk to sometimes. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
alright, because it would be really dumb to make me wait 3 more days to get a phone, at witch point i would have just switched to att anyways and gotten a launch day 6.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
alright, because it would be really dumb to make me wait 3 more days to get a phone, at witch point i would have just switched to att anyways and gotten a launch day 6.
They easily could. Often depends on the representative you deal with and what they know and/or willing to do. Sometimes they will do something for you others times they won't.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
They easily could. Often depends on the representative you deal with and what they know and/or willing to do. Sometimes they will do something for you others times they won't.

so really, what could happen is i wait in line for an iPhone, and then get to the checkout and they tell me i cant have it because theres 3 days left on my contract? That is extremely stupid. jeez maybe i will just switch to att.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
so really, what could happen is i wait in line for an iPhone, and then get to the checkout and they tell me i cant have it because theres 3 days left on my contract? That is extremely stupid. jeez maybe i will just switch to att.
Stupid? Perhaps. Can they do it, and have they done it? They sure can and have.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Maybe, maybe not.

Until a) the phone is actually announced and b) the carrier announces it's plans

NOBODY KNOWS!

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
The sense of entitlement lately is astonishing

the sense of entitlement when all i'm asking is for me to pay 300 bucks for a 32gb phone and add 2 years to my contract with the same company i've had for 6 years... it's not really like im a new customer looking for freebies or anything...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
the sense of entitlement when all i'm asking is for me to pay 300 bucks for a 32gb phone and add 2 years to my contract with the same company i've had for 6 years... it's not really like im a new customer looking for freebies or anything...
Well, technically speaking, part of that contract is that you agree you won't get discounted pricing until it's done (not a few days before, not even the day of, but once it's finished).

----------

Maybe, maybe not.

Until a) the phone is actually announced and b) the carrier announces it's plans

NOBODY KNOWS!
That's only half of it, if not less, the main part is the carrier being willing to allow for a discounted upgrade before one is officially available on the line.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Don't let the upgrade status stand in your way- just sell your current phone and pay the difference for a full price phone if you have to. But do find out in advance of launch day what will happen so there are no surprises.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Don't let the upgrade status stand in your way- just sell your current phone and pay the difference for a full price phone if you have to. But do find out in advance of launch day what will happen so there are no surprises.

Well, thats not really an option for me as a need a spare phone around and the only phone i have right now is an iphone 5.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
One thing is for sure... if it is even on your upgrade date and they do not have inventory, then the answer is for sure NO!

Until some dates firm up and policies are released, it is anyones GUESS, or as they say here RUMOR.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013

Usually Verizon will let you upgrade a week ahead of time if it's that close.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Usually Verizon will let you upgrade a week ahead of time if it's that close.
Sometimes and sometimes not. Had luck doing it with one account last year, but absolutely no luck with another.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Sometimes and sometimes not. Had luck doing it with one account last year, but absolutely no luck with another.

They always say you can do it a week early. Maybe they just really wanted the commission all those times lol.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

A few questions/suggestions.

First, is having a new phone three days early really worth the hassle of changing carriers? Are you otherwise happy with your services? I just don't see how a knee jerk reaction makes sense. It seems to, to you, which is fine, and why I am asking.

If you call Verizon reap (I might wait until the 6 is announced so you have an actual date) and tell them what you want, they may move the datr for you. Try a couple times if you keep getting "no" for an answer. I certainly wouldn't just try my luck at standing in line only to find out that the system says won't allow it, because I can almost guarantee that if your account isn't preflagged by a rep, the system WILL NOT allow it.

Of course, you can always witch to AT&T. I know here in Boston the service is lightyears better (yes, my wife had VZW through her work for a year before she finally got rid of it due to poor reception).

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I wish everyone luck in trying to get verizon to move up there up grade date. Last year they wouldn't move mine 3 days. I called 7 or 8 times and went to a bunch of stores. I kept getting the same response. They said its not us its Apple and we can't move your upgrade date up. It was only 3 days. It was funny because they had no problem doing it for a android phone. I was pissed

exi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I asked the same question about a month and a half gap between the likely release of the phone and when my contract expires this year.

The online rep said that they would allow the early upgrade, either by date adjustment or credit.

Took a screenshot and plan on taking them up on this.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
So if the iPhone 6 comes out a few days prior to your end date, you are telling use you cannot wait those few days to sign up for one ?? Really ? You just have to order the very day one can do so ? Good grief OP.. Good grief :p

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Yes its worth the hassle. On the iPhone 4 launch, i was 13, and my mom had just lost her job so told me i could upgrade, but then changed her mind 2 days later... Really annoying because now my contract is 2 days later than i'd like it to be. And also, the thing that pisses me off is that verizon does this stuff al the time while att is cool with it usually, and verizon coverage isnt bery good around here while if i go outside lf town closer to the nearest cell tower, it goes from 1 bar and 3g to 3-4 bars and LTE. I have friends on att and they get more solid service everywhere.

fleavers

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
If you go to an indirect location (not a Verizon corporate office) they are able to process upgrades 7 days early. Its part of their contract which Verizon and how they can sell services. Hope this helps

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you go to an indirect location (not a Verizon corporate office) they are able to process upgrades 7 days early. Its part of their contract which Verizon and how they can sell services. Hope this helps
They can offer what Verizon themselves can't?

exi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I asked the same question about a month and a half gap between the likely release of the phone and when my contract expires this year.

The online rep said that they would allow the early upgrade, either by date adjustment or credit.

Took a screenshot and plan on taking them up on this.

Sorry to bump the thread, but for those reading this down the line:

Verizon refused to honor what one of their representatives told me earlier, saying that the first representative was "mistaken." So it's either full retail or a new carrier.

I wouldn't care one bit if not for the fact that I was told that they would adjust my date as what seemed to be a matter of good will -- and business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.