Upgrade advice for internal MB drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockinrocker, Jun 25, 2009.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

So I'm thinking about getting this for Ye Oldde Macbook:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374

But I have 2 concerns:

Does anybody have any experience comparing the noise level of the 5400 RPM to the 7200? Is it noticeable? I'll be doing some recording, so any extra noise is too much.

For day to day usage, is the extra speed going to help much? When tracking, I'll be reading/writing to an external, so the performance isn't such a big deal there. But I also use the MB for watching videos, etc. and moving around fairly large files. Think I'll notice the difference?

Thanks

2. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

there were reports of the SG having more vibration due to the higher RPM. on this site, i remember also seeing some spec reports on the comparative performance between the 5400 and 7200 from Western Digital with little difference being observed after a number of tests. check out silent pc forums to check on what the current top contender in the 2.5" format for lappys.

for recording, unless you are dealing with a ton of gain on a condenser mic or something, you shouldn't be picking up too much ambient noise from the HD unless the thing clicks and whirs louder than usual. just make sure the comp is on a soft surface to decouple any vibration from messing up your take and it also helps to use a recording gobo around your mics to deaden mic bleed.