Upgrade advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by themat, May 31, 2009.

1. themat macrumors member

Dec 27, 2008
    Manchester, UK
    Hey guys and gals I have a mid-late 2008 penryn MBP 2.4gz, 2gb ddr2 ram, 256mb 8600M GT, 200GB HD.

I wanted a UMBP in November 2008 but couldn't afford one so ended up getting the penryn MBP with the spec listed above for £849 from PC world as it was the last one (which imo was an offer I couldn't refuse).

I use it for University and play a bit of CS/WoW on it from time to time. I just wondered if I wanted to use it as more of a gaming machine how easy would it be to upgrade the HDD / GFX card and if it was actually possible? In a few weeks I'm going to buy 2x 2GB Ram sticks for it, but will it run DDR3 ram or will i have to purchase DDR2?

Thanks alot for any help :)
  2. .Andy macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    HDD no probs at all. Check out ifixit.com. They'll have a step by step guide that won't be bettered. As far as the graphics card you are plum out of luck. They aren't upgradeable :(.
  3. killianb macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2008
    As far as I'm aware, you're stuck with DDR2 as well I think. I don't think you can put DDR3 in to a DDR2 machine. I may be wrong though.

However, it's still not a bad machine at all. ;)
  4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Jun 21, 2006
    You are correct. DDR3 -> DDR3 machine, DDR2 -> DDR2 machine. DDR2 is cheaper at this point so it's not an expensive proposition to max the RAM.
  5. themat thread starter macrumors member

Dec 27, 2008
    Manchester, UK
  6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    If you have applecare on it, get a 3rd party licensed mac repair shop to install the new hard drive on it.

If you don't have applecare on it, get it!
  7. waywardsage macrumors 6502

Dec 22, 2006
    If your remotely decent with your hands, and are delicate. The hard drive install is very easy.

DDR2 memory is what you need. I have a n early 2008 MBP and thats what i use. be glad! DDR3 is insanely expensive. Plus, i think the new UMBP's are ugly as sin! No matte screen? less ports? STILL no blu ray? Who cares if it has a "stronger build" Its not like i'm shot-putting my laptop.