Upgrade Advice/Plan

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jekite, Jul 10, 2007.

1. jekite macrumors newbie

I'm saving for a new macbook or macbook pro to buy after leopard comes out. I have an older Thinkpad T42 with a 1.7ghz processor and 512ram. I wanted to upgrade it with components I could transfer to a macbook. So I wanted to get a 250gb 5400 Scorpio HD, and the 4gb ram kit (with the hope that there will be a future santarosa macbook which can address 4gb of ram). My question is whether that ram will work in the older T42 with the Pentium M processor? Thoughts on my plan-this will tide me over until I can afford one-I was planning on adding these upgrades to a macbook regardless-so I at least get to use them until then.

2. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

I don't think you'll have any luck. If I remember correctly, the T42 uses a standard laptop IDE/ATA hard drive and the newer MacBooks/MacBook Pros use SATA (Serial ATA) hard drives. Same issue with the RAM...I'm not sure of the exact flavor of RAM each uses, but I know most IBM notebooks are VERY picky about the RAM it uses and is VERY HAPPY with IBM branded RAM.