Upgrade Advice - What to do??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UnluckyXIII, Aug 5, 2014.

1. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

Well its been almost two years since I got my iPhone 5 and with upgrade time looming (due on the 8th) its time to make that decision again on what's going to be my next device for the coming two years. I've not really been following mobile tech for some time now so I'm a little lost as to what the big innovations are for the last few years or who the "big players" are when it comes to high-end smart phones these days.

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is what smart phone would you guys get to replace my old iPhone 5?? Would you wait for the iPhone 6 or go with something from the competition??

Thanks,
    XIII

2. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

Well I think most people on an Apple related website would tell you to wait for the iPhone 6, including me. But there are many great phones out there such as the LG G3, HTC One M8, and others.

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Wait for the iPhone 6 or Note 4. If you need to buy now then get the HTC ONE M8.

4. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies, I've had a quick look at the other handsets you guys mentioned (note 4 looks like its going to be HUGE!! & imo the HTC m8 is fugly) but there is defiantly a lot more out there then I expected.

Has there been any clarity on when the iPhone 6 is due to be released though? The "internet" is putting dates as early as this month and as far away as late October so its kinda hard to have an idea of when to expect it.

This also opens the question of should I sell my iPhone 5 now or hold on to it until the iPhone 6 launches, has the past seen a dramatic drop in the resale value once the newer model is released?

XIII

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Many think that the HTC ONE M8 is the nicest looking phone out there, and at least the equal of the 5S. I'm surprised that you consider it fugly :)
    Regardless of looks though, it's a cracking phone.
    Resale of the i5 will probably take a slight dive when the i6 is released, but only by $50-or-so.

6. 1981d macrumors regular

Don't do it! Non Apple phones are a trap!!!:eek: Breath into a paper bag while taking a cold shower until the urge to buy android goes away.:cool:

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Where have u been? Apple is announcing New IPhone September 9th.

All signs point to Friday September 19th release date.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I HATED Android for years, and especially when people called them 'Droids' :-/
    However, I'm seriously considering the Note 4. Change is good! It doesn't mean that I might not return to iPhones...
    Having said that, I'm only 55/45 in favour of the upcoming Note over the iPhone 6. My mind will be made up when I see the two phones in the flesh.

9. cnotes2019 Suspended

Phones have flesh?

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The salesman's....

11. rman0726 macrumors regular

I made a terrible mistake last November. I sold my iPhone 5 for a Nexus 5. I am so pumped that it appears like the new iPhone is coming out September 19th. I cannot wait to get rid of my Nexus 5. What a grossly overrated platform that is.

12. campyguy macrumors 68030

Me? I'd wait a few weeks to two months after the initial release comes out. I've been using Apple products for over 20 years now and I've learned to stay away from "Rev 0" products, the initial release - they're hit and miss IMO. I've never had a problem with "Rev A" Apple products, iPhones and Macs included. But, I can see that fire burning a hole in your pocket from here...

FWIW, with two iPhone 5s (not 5S), an iPad 3, and iPad Air (all on VZW UL data), I feel your pain, anxiety, and wanton desire for a new phone. I'm using iCloud and Exchange email and so many of my friends have Messages, I'm looking to just keep my devices until the new ones come out. I've tried and didn't like Nexus, Touchwiz, and Sense devices, and Windows Phone is just too dumbed down to buy a stop gap phone until the new devices come out.

I'm also happy with my current setup, and I might just wait until the bigger/6S iPhone comes out. Or pick up a cheap 5S when their prices tank (the day after the 6 hits the street... ;) ).

----------

Yes, yes it is...

13. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

I know I’m strange haha!! Everyone else has said the same to me, it’s just them black bands on the rear of the handset that I’m not overly keen on and they are too bold, for some reason they make me think of a sports field lol!! When I held one in my local store last weekend I have to admit it’s the first handset I’ve held that gave me that high quality Apple feel and on paper it’s boasting some top-notch specs.

I think it might be the best call to sell it now before the market becomes saturated with others doing the same once they get their iPhone 6 – The iPhone 5 64GB is currently going for around £300-£325 ($500-$550) in the UK and after sleeping on it I’d be wiser to have that extra £££ to get an “iWatch” if we’re lucky enough to see one launch alongside the iPhone 6…. One can only pray right!?

Hahaha a friend of mine got a Galaxy S4 last year over an iPhone 5S and all he does is complain about how he misses his iPhone… maybe it’s hard to go “back” once you’ve got use to superior technology but the lure of “ooooo shiny” and “insert gimmicky feature here” sometimes gets the best of all of us…. Although not true in all cases and I’ve seen more and more of my friends move away from Apple this last year saying that they haven’t upped their game enough and are shipping basically the same handset year after year…

Really? When did this information come about? When I searched about a potential release date at the start of the week all signs were pointing to a production delay and that no one would be seeing anything iPhone until late October :(

Yeah I hated the “Droids” lmao!

I’ve been looking at the Galaxy S5 as a potential contender, just simply having that bigger screen and far superior camera is a huge selling point to me and since Apple has lagged in both of these areas it’s making the anticipation for the iPhone 6 unbearable!!

XIII

14. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

You are asking about what phone to get on MacRumors, an Apple products related community, in the iPhone section. What exactly did you expect from this place? A fair set of suggestions on what you could do? :rolleyes:

15. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, if I'm honest, people who use these type of forums tend to be clued up on technology (not just Apple but other brands too). Are you trying to say that everyone who posts here is some type of "Apple fan boy" and that they would give advice purely based on this bias over factual and informative information? I think your asinine assumption of the community and this board give a suggestion to what you could do - now run along, I hear there are three billy goats looking to cross a bridge somewhere that needs your attention :rolleyes:

XIII

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Yeah, the antenna breaks are necessary though when phones are made of metal. They need to have breaks in the metal to allow the signal in and out. Sadly the upcoming iPhone 6 will have 'em too.
    As for the S5; the camera, screen and removable battery are the three biggest draws.
    Samsung are due to release a premium version of the S5 soon, called the Galaxy Alpha and it will come in a metal casing...

17. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

No. In fact, on any forum related to A, people have no bias towards A, do not defend A, and give objective suggestions on A.
    As a related news, welcome to the Internet. Hopefully you will learn this, some day. ;)

You have assumed I had such an assumption. Which is not the case, since you suggested it, and not I. So, your assumption does not hold anywhere.

Second, you have judged one's supposed (read: invented by you) assumption on the basis of nothing, displaying a quite naive behaviour as for Internet forums.

Third, you have not at all elaborated on the final part of the quoted sentence, which displays a lot of peculiarities.

I will not report this post just yet, but I suggest you have a look at the forums rules, before you post anything. :rolleyes:

18. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

I’m not saying there won’t be some bias, it’s a given but I would still expect reasonable and rational responses from the majority, at the end of the day who know the pitfalls of ones devices more than a community who use them?

Well then in what context was your reply implying? It appears as a generalised assumption of both this board and its community (Insinuating that people on an Apple based forum could only constitute opinions solely about Apple and its products and that I should expect nothing more).

Please report away, I fail to see how your post was nothing more than sarcastic and antagonistic when a clear discussion was underway, possibly read the forum rules yourself before just quoting them?

Now let’s not take things off course simply because someone has responded to your disruptive post and called you out on it, go invade another thread because you clearly have nothing constructive to add here…

I know they need them but there must be a more aesthetically pleasing way to go about it? The iPhone 5 and 5S both do it in a much more classy way… although anything has to be better than what we had with the iPhone 4 and its all glass back, it was a nightmare!!

I have to say the removable battery is a big plus for me, almost every issue I’ve had with my iPhones has been battery related and it’s an expensive repair if your no longer in warranty in comparison to just picking up a new battery, also as a heavy user it’s nice to know I’m not having to plan things based around when I will next be able to charge my iPhone. Is the Alpha going to be an S5 upgrade or simply a middle spec model, the difference in opinion on the internet has seemed to muddle the information and I’m a little confused when it comes to the Galaxy Alpha, Galaxy S5 Prime or Galaxy F :S

XIII

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Yeah, I'm confused too. All we know is that there'll be a metal chassis version of the S5 out soon. It may have the exact same spec as the current S5, or it may be slightly uprated.

20. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

I would guess they will look to launch it around the same time as the iPhone 6 so it could be decision time next month, either way I'll be getting to enjoy something shiny soon ^___^

XIII

21. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I would not expect objective responses regarding phones in the iPhone section of the largest Apple community on the web. :rolleyes:
    Read some threads in this section, and you will perhaps understand what I mean.

That is you, UnluckyXIII, who insinuates someone assumes anything, without providing any evidence to back it up.
    It appears that you really have to learn about what place is MacRumors, but seeing you are new, it does not come as a surprise. Don't worry.

The response is neither sarcastic nor antagonistic. Clear discussion is not underway, especially given the vague and meaningless topic that you introduced with this thread.

It seems to me that you started by replying to my response. Your two replies are very disruptive, and fit well in the context of the thread, which is yet another useless asking for vague information-type of thread. There are way better ways to do your research on what the technology offers. For instance, you might get less biased responses in the proper section, regarding the alternatives to iOS, on this very forum. :rolleyes:

22. td1439 macrumors 6502

td1439

Everyone? No. But there is definitely fanboy-ism here.

23. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Read the lead article on the homepage here.

Wait a month.

24. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

It is called MacRumors not PhoneRumors. :rolleyes:

25. td1439 macrumors 6502

td1439

Yes, I get that, but one can like and discuss Apple products without being a fanboy. I very much enjoy my Apple items and have no plans to move away from them for mobile devices, but that doesn't mean I love everything Apple does or never criticize the company.