Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Title is my situation. Anyone considering that particular upgrade? I'm sure I can get a pretty good buck reselling mine and then buy the new one. Anyone see a really decent reason for it other than having the latest?

Reactions: Neco1963

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
If you want the significant camera improvements and the better performance, screen, etc and have the money especially if you sell the Air 2, then I don't see why not. May as well if you can afford to and are keen to upgrade.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Pros & cons for me: I'd like to have the 256GB; I'd like to see what the screen improvements look like; I've only used the camera on my Air 2 to see if it worked; I use headphones or earbuds so I don't care about 4 speakers; I don't need the pencil; performance on the Air 2 hasn't been an issue for me. So no, after weighing it all vs cost I won't upgrade from my 128GB LTE Air 2 to the 9.7" iPP.

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
I am kind of in the same boat. I have the original iPad Air and was thinking about upgrading to the new iPad Air 3. But I was hoping the price was the same as the current iPad Air 2. I don't know if I should get the iPad Air 2 now that they lowered it $100 or spend the extra money and get the new IPad Pro. Decisions decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShaunAFC3

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
The 4K video alone is worth the upgrade. The display is a newer panel. IPad Pro A9X although lower clock speeds. The speakers are now 4x. The LTE bands are now supported (Band 12) - and LTE Advanced supported. Aside from these new hardware updates, the only thing they gimped on is the USB 2.0 interface.

Other than those things it's a much better iPad than the IPad AIR 2.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Title is my situation. Anyone considering that particular upgrade? I'm sure I can get a pretty good buck reselling mine and then buy the new one. Anyone see a really decent reason for it other than having the latest?
I bought my 128GB iPad Air 2 6 months ago during Staples' $150 off sale.

I am seriously considering buying a 128GB 9.7 iPP and handing down the Air 2 to my wife.

Reasons for moving up...
  • Support for the Pencil
  • More powerful processor
  • 4GB RAM (not confirmed)

Reasons why I'll hold off a while to wait-n-see:
  • price: the 128GB is about $50 more than I'd like to pay
  • keyboard: Smart keyboard is $150 (rather than the $170 for the 12.9)
  • waiting for manufacturing to tighten up quality control (typically takes up to 3 months)

The 4K video alone is worth the upgrade.
It records 4K video (for those who actually use the camera), but can't play it back in 4K.

Reactions: Neco1963

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
The 4K video alone is worth the upgrade. The display is a newer panel. IPad Pro A9X although lower clock speeds. The speakers are now 4x. The LTE bands are now supported (Band 12) - and LTE Advanced supported. Aside from these new hardware updates, the only thing they gimped on is the USB 2.0 interface.

4K video... my phone has that so it's a 'meh' upgrade for me. I never use my Air 2 for photography, that's my phone's job. I have Wi-Fi only version so again for me that's an irrevelevent upgrade.

It's only the improved display, speakers and performance that are enticing me. But I'm struggling to justify spending £619 to upgrade from my 128GB Air 2 for just these reasons alone as the Air 2 is no slouch in these regards. Hmmm.... what to do...

Last edited:
Reactions: mgarc1125

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Performance on my Air 2 hasn't really been an issue either. I suppose the reasoning for me might be to have newer features like Hey Siri, improved display, faster CPU and graphics, 4 speakers. I'm not really sure I'd ever use the pencil though or the keyboard for that matter.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I bought my 64GB Air 2 on Thanksgiving 2014 for $399 ($100 off). I sold it yesterday for the same price. Looking forward to picking up the new pro. Might wait a while until there are some discounts.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I'm upgrading, but not on Day 1. It's more expensive than I thought, and I'm not sure of the size, I would have gotten 64 but since that doesn't exist, 32 might be too small, might have to save up. My birthday is in early May, I might ask for cash to help fund it. Might give my Air 2 to a family member.

ppfd

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
West Virginia USA
Not sure this time around, last few I jumped as soon as the new iPads came out.
I want need a new laptop,(mac air).
New iPad will be dependent on what best buy offers. If they do a decent trade in again and the post office movers coupon might look at another 128g.

mcorleone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Florida
Time for me to upgrade, as I still have my 3rd generation iPad. Mine is much heavier than the iPad Airs but I wanted to wait a few generations. This one seems like it will make the difference I'm looking for. It will be ideal to keep me occupied during the upcoming flight to the UK to start with...

Reactions: aypues

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I am interested in reading the reviews to check if this complaint for Air 2 is in the past:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6738006?tstart=0

I remember that was THE reason for me not having bought the Air 2 at the time and replacing my old 4th generation model.

Since all iPADs are imported here, the final price is going to be REALLY EXPENSIVE, but the upgrade at this point is worth every penny.

I only have doubts if the 4G model can be used in foreign countries, or it's restricted to the U.S. At the time I preferred the wi-fi version. I am thinking about buying from the U.S., it will be cheaper, rather than visiting any local store.

For me, aside from all other improvements already discussed, I am particularly interested in it for being thinner and lighter.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Yeah I thought about giving my Dad my Air 2 but money is a tad tight and I could probably get some good cash for it and pass less for the Pro.

Reactions: appledefenceforce

pixelements

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Germany
I'm upgrading too.. I have an iPad Air 2 with 64GB. Sadly there is no 64 option, so I HAVE to go for the 128, since 32 is way too small.. I'm upgrading because of the pencil. I remember the keynote when they introduced the new iPad Pro and I was so darn jealous.. I've tried so many Styluses for my iPad Air 2 and none of them worked perfectly with Procreate. NOW the time has come! I can't wait :) Going to preorder the Rose Gold 128GB.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012

The sound quality of the speakers is bad anyway. I don't record video's with my iPad. I only buy Wifi models since my iPhone has internet. The cpu is fast enough still.

So that only leaves the display. And I'm not obviously going to upgrade for only a better display.

Definetly sticking with my iPad Air 2 for a few years untill it is outdated.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
I am going to upgrade, I do it every time a new iPad comes out..I already put the one that I have on Craigslist(for 450 bucks, comes with a case, its the iPad Air 2 64Gb WIFI in Gold) so Im hoping that someone buys it by the time the new one comes out, I really want to get the Rose color iPad it looks beautiful

Reactions: Young Turk

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
I am going to upgrade, I do it every time a new iPad comes out..I already put the one that I have on Craigslist(for 450 bucks, comes with a case, its the iPad Air 2 64Gb WIFI in Gold) so Im hoping that someone buys it by the time the new one comes out, I really want to get the Rose color iPad it looks beautiful

I'm using craigslist too. I was thinking 500 or 550. I have a nice folio keyboard case I am including.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
How similar in size do you suppose the Air 2 and the new Pro are? I just got a new case for my Air that I love. It doesn't have cutouts, so there's nothing to "fit." The Air is basically held in by elastic loops. It aligns to the camera hole, but that's about it.

If the new device will fit in my case, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
I'm using craigslist too. I was thinking 500 or 550. I have a nice folio keyboard case I am including.

Cool, yeah I decided to go lower since in LA Ive been seeing prices between 400 to 500 so figured put it at 450 and include the nice pink speck case that I have, but so far no one is interested, not even an email, heck by now Im used to getting those Nigerian Scam emails but nothing

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
How similar in size do you suppose the Air 2 and the new Pro are? I just got a new case for my Air that I love. It doesn't have cutouts, so there's nothing to "fit." The Air is basically held in by elastic loops. It aligns to the camera hole, but that's about it.

If the new device will fit in my case, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

They are identical in size and weight. Have a look here.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/

Scroll down to the size and weight section.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
This is the best iPad ever made. It is better in every conceivable way to iPad Air 2. It should be a nobrainer upgrade for everyone.

Nobrainer? Not at all true. If the updates really don't make a difference (or are minor) to you as a user - as they don't to me - then it doesn't make sense to spend the money to upgrade (unless you have money to burn).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.