Upgrade and Clean Install MBP 13" 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bahramik, Aug 11, 2014.

1. bahramik macrumors newbie

I've recently noticed that my MBP 13" 2010 has become really sluggish. It takes a lot longer to buffer commands and open apps. I use Logic Pro X alot and sometimes Final Cut, so for my main workstation to be sluggish with quite CPU intensive apps is really annoying!
    I was wondering if there was any way to upgrade the CPU. I doubt it, I know, but what's the harm in asking?
    Secondly, would a clean install with upgraded hardware be a good idea for updragding? I wanted to install an SSD and HDD with the SSD containg the OS and Logic and a few programs. I don't really have anything of value on my current HDD and don't want to go through the process of cloning, so a clean install was my first thought
    I've upgraded the RAM to 8gb, but you can't go to 16gb, can you?
    I've thought about getting a new Mac (both iMac and Macbook) but they too expensive. A hackintosh was the next thought but they seem unreliable.
    The SSD and HDD combo could work because I'm running out of space on my 320gb HDD and that might be a benefactor, so a faster SSD for a few programs and 1tb appeals well! Upgraded RAM and CPU (though unlikely to be possible) will be done if the Macbook can handle it/can be done!

2. amazinjoey macrumors newbie

8GB is more than enough ram! :) Get an SSD like the M500 or a Evo 840 At 256gb also Recommend opening the macbook up and cleaning the fan and adding some new cooling paste like arctic silver 5 :) That should be the best alternativ :)

3. asriznet macrumors regular

You're kinda stucked with the CPU, getting that upgraded will probably cost as much as a new computer.

Based on Mactracker, the supported amount of RAM is 8GB but the actual maximum is 16GB, so that's an option.

Removing the Superdrive and putting in an SSD is your best bet in my opinion.

I've done that and fusioned a 60GB SSD with my 750GB HDD and noticed much better performance.

Of course if you wish to leave the SSD and HDD separated, you will get better performance however you need to think about what data you want to place in SSD or HDD.

and yeah, i still recommend a clean installation after all this upgrades so you don't bring along the junk files :p