Upgrade and jailbreak iphone 3gs to 4.x (currently unjailbroken 3.1.3)?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Trekstar, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Trekstar macrumors newbie

Hi!

I searched but couldnt find the right answers unfortunately.

I have an unjailbroken iphone 3GS at 3.1.3.

I want to upgrade to iphone 4.0 or higher and jailbreak and unlock.

As far as i understood i should not jailbreak 3.1.3 with Spirit in order to be able to upgrade.

But i need a jailbroken phone to upgrade to 4.0 with pwnage tool?

So how do i do this then? :confused:

It is a MC Model (if this matters) and I don't know the bootrom (it's a out of the box 3.1.3 iphone 3GS unmodified).

Preferably on a windows PC as i do not own a MAC (but if really no possibility on Windows i could get access to a MAC, if this would work).

Thank you so much

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Cannot be done. You can JB and UL while staying on 3.1.3 but if you want to upgrade to 4 you will have to wait on new tools.

3. Trekstar thread starter macrumors newbie

cannot be done on windows or at all?

even not with a custom firmware from somebody else?

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Your phone has to be pwned (that is, have its bootrom modified to patch out the signature check) in order to accept a custom firmware file. This can be done by redsn0w, purplera1n, blackra1n, or PwnageTool only for old bootrom phones on 3.1.2 or earlier. The exploit used to pwn the iPhone was patched in the new bootrom and in iOS 3.1.3, so that the only jailbreak that works on such phones is Spirit, a userland jailbreak which, because of the type of exploit it uses, is not capable of removing the signature check. This is why you cannot use a custom firmware.

You have two options right now. You can jailbreak at 3.1.3 using Spirit and enjoy your jailbroken phone but not the new features of 4.0; or you can upgrade to 4.0.1 now and enjoy the new features but not the ability to jailbreak. In either case it is only a temporary situation; comex is working on a jailbreak which will work on the 3GS on iOS 4.0.1. It is expected in the next couple of weeks.

5. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

better wait, if you upgrade to iOS4 it will be 4.0.1 which is probably harder to Jailbreak than 4.0, stay with 3.1.3 and wait for the Jailbreak

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Don't be ridiculous. Comex has already confirmed that there is no difference between 4.0 and 4.0.1 as far as his jailbreak goes. Even common sense would tell you that changing the signal bar formula would not affect jailbreak.

7. Trekstar thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks @thelatinist for your information!

So it have to wait a little longer for a working jailbreak.