Carrier Upgrade and keep unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jayes, Sep 9, 2016.

1. jayes macrumors regular

I am probably one of the few VZN customers left with unlimited data. I currently have an iPhone 6 that was a "gift" from my husband who was eligible for an upgrade two years ago. I ordered the 6 for him, and just put the SIM card from my iPhone 5 into the iPhone 6 when it arrived thus maintaining my unlimited data. I have been out of the loop and wonder if I can do this again. He shows an upgrade available on the VZN website. Just order on his account and move the SIM from my 6 into the new 7?? Does this transaction qualify for the Trade in Iphone program announced on VZN website? He has my old 5 and could use my iPhone 6.

2. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I'm guessing you're currently on a family plan under his name? If so, your best bet would be to reach out to Verizon directly. There's no reason for them to drop the unlimited data due to an upgrade although they may try to sway you out of it.

3. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

At bare minimum, I would activate the new phone with his SIM card in it before swapping SIMs

4. jayes thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. We are on a very old grandfathered family plan. When we made the swap two years ago VZN rep told me not to put the sim in his phone. So was thinking I just needed to put my SIM in new phone and not mess with his phone at all. Unless something has changed. ?

5. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I have unlimited data with verizon and I called yesterday and spoke with them about upgrading my phone without losing my unlimited data plan.

Like you I've been doing the upgrades for years on my husbands line, mothers line etc. And then switching it over to mine. This time the verizon rep said since they charge you an extra $20 now for you to keep your unlimited data, you get to keep it.

When I ordered my phone at 3am I clicked on the button to keep my data plan. My order confirmation states that I still have my unlimited data.

6. jayes thread starter macrumors regular

I am also paying the extra $20 to keep my unlimited. This is pretty interesting news. So you upgraded on your own line and kept your unlimited data?? Anyone else experience this?

7. KPOM, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016

KPOM macrumors G5

Are you saying you can get a subsidized price on a Verizon iPhone and keep the unlimited data? Nice. I just might do that (and then sell the phone to offset the extra $20).

Update: I just tried to order it online and it prompted me to change my data plan. I opted out. Maybe this is only something they'll do on a case-by-case basis. FWIW, I got the Verizon unlimited data plan as part of the "iPhone 6 glitch" 2 years ago and am still under contract until November when the new rate kicks in. I might try it again after that.