Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varmatheone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
I upgraded my line to the new iPhone 4 and sold it on ebay.

Now, when I login online (Premier), I get a message that I need to complete my 'upgrade' by activating the new phone.

What should I do now? How can I activate, but still not activate the phone I already sold?

Any info is appreciated. Please no "why did you sell it" BS.a

mbsaeger

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I upgraded my line to the new iPhone 4 and sold it on ebay.

Now, when I login online (Premier), I get a message that I need to complete my 'upgrade' by activating the new phone.

What should I do now? How can I activate, but still not activate the phone I already sold?

Any info is appreciated. Please no "why did you sell it" BS.a

Call AT&T

varmatheone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
Call AT&T

I did, they tell me that I need to activate the new phone (if I do that my current sim will be disabled) and then get a new sim for my 3GS and activate that. I dont trust AT&T reps, I think a lot of them are misinformed.

What I think I would be able to do is: Activate the new phone online, immediately call at&t and tell them to enable the sim in my 3GS. Has anyone done anything similar? Would they activate my old sim if I give them the IDCID?

Middiebear

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
I did, they tell me that I need to activate the new phone (if I do that my current sim will be disabled) and then get a new sim for my 3GS and activate that. I dont trust AT&T reps, I think a lot of them are misinformed.

What I think I would be able to do is: Activate the new phone online, immediately call at&t and tell them to enable the sim in my 3GS. Has anyone done anything similar? Would they activate my old sim if I give them the IDCID?

Once you activate a new sim on your line the old one is useless and you won't be able to use it again...

The CSR you spoke to was correct; what you need to do is try to activate that phone and if the sim card is disabled then you would have to pick up another one for your 3Gs.

varmatheone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
Once you activate a new sim on your line the old one is useless and you won't be able to use it again...

The CSR you spoke to was correct; what you need to do is try to activate that phone and if the sim card is disabled then you would have to pick up another one for your 3Gs.

Wont I be able to re-activate the old SIM?

Middiebear

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010

Wont I be able to re-activate the old SIM?

No, you can never "re-activate" a sim card; they're one-time use only.

What you could try to do is call AT&T and request that they delete the parked information in the system for the upgrade.

That would be your best bet if you don't want to go through the trouble of getting a new sim card (although it's actually probably the easier choice); although I think a CSR *may* give you a hard time in deleting the parked information... But I guess it's worth a shot.

varmatheone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
No, you can never "re-activate" a sim card; they're one-time use only.

What you could try to do is call AT&T and request that they delete the parked information in the system for the upgrade.

That would be your best bet if you don't want to go through the trouble of getting a new sim card (although it's actually probably the easier choice); although I think a CSR *may* give you a hard time in deleting the parked information... But I guess it's worth a shot.

Ok thanks. I wil try that in an hour and let you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.