Upgrade Areas.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Quad 2.5 G5 =), Jul 13, 2009.

1. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

I have an "ancient" PowerMac Quad G5, and I am wondering if I can do anything to make it faster. It isn't slow for the things I do, and it is faster encoding movies in handbrake than my MacBook. Why is this, more processors? I have 8GB RAM in it, and I have 4 more 2GB sticks of RAM (on hand) that I can put in it. Would double the RAM make a noticeable difference? Also, are there better graphics cards that are compatible with it? I have the nVidia Quadro FX4500 in it. Are there any other upgrades I can put in this machine? Finally, I have heard a rumor that SL may be coded for PPC, is this true?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

For pro apps, thats it. For games, get an ATI X1900 and sell the quadro for $400.

No. Your encoding speed is limited by your hard drive speed.

Get an SSD as the boot and applications drive.

About as much chance of Apple switching back to PPC.

OSX isn't bloatware like winblows. The ONLY way they managed to free 6gb of space is to delete all the PPC code.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I think the only way there would be 10.6 for PPC is if there was a totally separate version written for PPC. Trust me, if SL would have run on PPC I would have gotten rid of my MacBook Pro so I could buy a quad G5 like yours.