Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
I have an "ancient" PowerMac Quad G5, and I am wondering if I can do anything to make it faster. It isn't slow for the things I do, and it is faster encoding movies in handbrake than my MacBook. Why is this, more processors? I have 8GB RAM in it, and I have 4 more 2GB sticks of RAM (on hand) that I can put in it. Would double the RAM make a noticeable difference? Also, are there better graphics cards that are compatible with it? I have the nVidia Quadro FX4500 in it. Are there any other upgrades I can put in this machine? Finally, I have heard a rumor that SL may be coded for PPC, is this true?

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
Also, are there better graphics cards that are compatible with it? I have the nVidia Quadro FX4500 in it.
For pro apps, thats it. For games, get an ATI X1900 and sell the quadro for $400.

I have 4 more 2GB sticks of RAM (on hand) that I can put in it. Would double the RAM make a noticeable difference?
No. Your encoding speed is limited by your hard drive speed.

Are there any other upgrades I can put in this machine?
Get an SSD as the boot and applications drive.

Finally, I have heard a rumor that SL may be coded for PPC, is this true?
About as much chance of Apple switching back to PPC.

OSX isn't bloatware like winblows. The ONLY way they managed to free 6gb of space is to delete all the PPC code.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I think the only way there would be 10.6 for PPC is if there was a totally separate version written for PPC. Trust me, if SL would have run on PPC I would have gotten rid of my MacBook Pro so I could buy a quad G5 like yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.