Upgrade at work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by clarkie604, Oct 12, 2011.

1. clarkie604 macrumors member

If I upgrade on my work computer - which has no music, apps or other iTunes content - will I lose all my music, apps and iTunes content? (I sync with my home computer.)

I should wait until I get home, but I can't.

2. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You can "transfer purchases" to your work computer, which will give you all iTunes-purchased content (but you might lose app data such as game scores, etc.). Then I guess you could restore from latest backup when you get home, and all you'll have lost long-term is anything since your last backup.

But, yeah, wait until you get home.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is what I'm doing. I can live without my apps for a few hours. I'd rather play with notifications on the train ride home than play Angry Birds again.

5. SomeonePlzHelp macrumors regular

Just wait holy **** what difference will it make getting it a few hours earlier before your shift is done? You wont have all your content on it to enjoy anyways...

6. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I'm about to do this too - but if I restore from backup once I get home, that backup is 4.X - will the backup still work (to 5) ?

7. iFiend macrumors 65816

Wait until you get home.

Then, purchase a external hard drive and transfer all of your library to it. I've been doing this for years and it's great to be able to sync my iPhone at work!!

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I can check Twitter on my computer. I'll live.

I like how "not waiting to get iOS 5" makes me silly and impatient, but apparently "not being able to go without Facebook and Fruit Ninja for 4 hours" is a totally normal thing.

Really, I'll be fine.

9. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Ok I went ahead and bit bullet and upgraded from my work MacBook Pro (I did a backup on my home PC this morning just in case).

It backs up again as part of the upgrade process (to my work MBP) - now it's restoring from that backup. I wonder if it'll keep everything intact.

If not, then it'll be just like getting a new phone!