Upgrade, buy or wait question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sgough, Mar 9, 2009.

1. sgough macrumors newbie

I have a 15" Macbook pro that was released Feb 2008. I currently have a 320 gb 7200 rpm hard drive and 4 GB of ram. I was debating about upgrading the machine to 6 gb ram and buying a 256 GB SSD drive. I currently am using 200 GB on my hard drive but have a lot of movies and some could be moved to external. So should I invest close to a $1000 (if I got the fast Samsung), buy a new 15" macbook with the newer config or just be patient and wait?

Also, will the SSD HD decrease the heat and noise? Got Coolbook but still warmer and noisier than i would like.

2. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

It sounds like you have a perfect machine for almost anything just the way it is.

Yes -- a SSD will run faster ( probably -- there are mixed reviews) and cooler.

I can't imagine what the cost/benefit ratio would be with the extra ram.

But, I am a great believer in overkill, so if you have the money I say go for it.

I don't think that there will be any significant MBP upgrades for at least six months, maybe more.

3. sgough thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response and another Question

Is there a major difference between the Samsung one that costs $900 plus and the other models that are around $500?

4. yargk macrumors member

Personally I like to buy big and then not get something new for quite a while (which is why I'm looking at a new 17 2.93). I know most people take a less extreme approach, but I think your machine seems to be good for a while. I feel like SSDs will get a lot cheaper and faster in the next six months. I'd buy one then, then keep the computer another 6-12 months and get a mobile core i7 in 2010.

5. windels macrumors regular

windels

hi
    I find this to be a usefull site. haven't checked it in a wile, so I don't know if its fully up to date; but it explains a lot of things for example why certain ssd's are cheaper than the other. has something to do with a diffrent kind of technologie used but I can't remember it at the moment. anyway, here it is:
    http://www.storagesearch.com

edit : i think the therms were mlc and slc ore something like that. and i think slc is the fastest

sam

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't see upgrading the hard drive to an SSD as a waste. As long as you are willing to remove it in order to place it inside any new machine you may purchase down the road it's not an issue. Just retain the hard drive from the computer after it has been removed in order to reinstall it later. When you buy a new computer, just choose the lowest hard drive option, and either sell the drive or place it in an enclosure.