Upgrade Clarification - My Situation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnnyfiive, Jun 10, 2010.

1. johnnyfiive macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

My wife and I bought our iPhone 3G's in April 2009, two months before 3GS was released. Our Sprint contract ended so we jumped into two iPhones, not wanting to wait 2-3 months for new iPhones to be released.

Our plan is $140-$150 a month. Are we eligible for iPhone 4 $199/$299 pricing? I'm getting so confused with no fact from AT&T and all this speculation from forums. Can someone clarify what options I have, I'd really appreciate some clarity.

Getting an iPhone 4 isn't a "must have" but if I'm eligible then I will place an order. If not, I'll upgrade the OS and stick it out another year. :apple:

2. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Since it's only been 14 months, you will not get the full upgrade rebate. You may get a partial one though.

4. johnnyfiive thread starter macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

This is what I get:

" As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2 year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. "

I guess that means I can get a newer phone, but that doesn't clarify how much of a discount I get. Is it 1 year's worth, 2 years worth, or am I lucky and am able to get the iPhone 4 at $199/$299 price points?

5. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I upgraded to my 3GS in July of last year and paid the $399 price because I did not have a plan of $100 or more, my bill was $95 every month and I had bought my iPhone 3G launch day. With the iPhone 4 I am available for the $199/$299 price tag. Confirmed on AT&Ts site and thru AT&T Rep over the phone.

I will have my 3GS less than one year when I upgrade to the iPhone 4. So there upgrade process for pricing doesn't always make sense.

6. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Do this. Go to Apple.com and act like your buying an iPhone 3GS 32GB, if it tells you your price is $199 then your are good to go. If not it will tell you the date you can get it for the $199 price. For example my girlfriend got her 3GS in Nov of last year, she has to wait until Nov. 23rd to upgrade at the $199 price.

7. pcorrado macrumors 6502

8. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Go Here And chose "Replace a phone on my account with a new iPhone" validate your info and see what it says to be more specific about what I was saying.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

All these questions are answered in the upgrade guide.

10. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Anyone that bought a 3GS last June has an upgrade date in late fall. All late 2010 upgrades have been turned into 'eligible' for full discount, which means it's the same as a new line (199/299).

When you check the website or call the *new# and it doesn't mention a cost beyond the $18, that means full discount.

11. johnnyfiive thread starter macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

Thanks very much for the info ugp. Finally i have a solid answer.
    Thanks to everyone else as well.