Upgrade config for cMBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krwright11, Oct 28, 2012.

1. krwright11 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm in the market for a new computer soon and have been looking at the two rMBPs with great interest, but after getting a chance to play around with all of the Apple options, I think I've decided to go with the cMBP 13. I've come to this conclusion because I think the classic operates a little more cleanly due to not having the retina displays to push, and also due to pricing reasons obviously.

So my plan is to buy the cMBP 13, but I would like to upgrade the RAM and also install an SSD (256) in place of the HDD. Does anybody have any pointers on what specific ram and SSD to look for?

Also, does anybody have suggestions as to if upgrading the processor is worth it? I plan on running virtual machines or bootcamp to run statistical programming software (SAS) for my graduate school work, and maybe some occasional gaming. Also, I'm not sure if this makes any difference on possible decisions, but I plan on interning at an investment bank this summer, and hope to pursue a career in it shortly after.

Thanks!

----------

By the way, I think its lame that you can't upgrade the processor without upgrading much of the rest of the system, especially when I don't plan on keeping the upgrading HDD and RAM! (I would go ahead and install 16gb RAM).

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

For RAM, I've used Corsair, Crucial and even g.skill in my Macs. I don't even buy the Mac specific stuff, just find RAM that matches the speed and timing specs of your current RAM.

As for SSDs, the crucial M4 is pretty good(although a little slow for a SATA III drive), and the Samsung 830 is great.

I'd get the upgraded processor if possible. I tend to keep my computers for quite a while.

----------

An upgradeable processor in a laptop as thin as the MBP wouldn't work. The socket adds too much thickness.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

What he said. Keep an eye on newegg and amazon and watch for daily specials on either of these SSD's.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

A 256 GB Samsung 830 is $169 on Newegg.com right now with free shipping.

And 16 GB RAM is around $85 these days . . .