Upgrade CS4 Design + buy FCP or just get CS5 Master Collection?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by RebootD, May 13, 2010.

1. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I want to upgrade from CS4 design premium (my main focus) to CS5 BUT I've been getting more and more video requests from clients (mostly for the web, some DVD) and while I have FCE I really want a Motion/AE like program for intros/outros/lower thirds/green screen work etc. I've worked with Premiere in the past and also the original Final Cut studio package so I'm comfortable with them.

That said the CS5 DP upgrade is $599 and I found FCStudio for $850 =$1449.00

I figured out I can upgrade to CS5 Master (which includes After Effects, Premiere etc) for $1,200.

So the question is (finally right?) is the Final Cut Studio that much better than Premiere/AE? I know the bonus of having all Adobe work-flow is ease of transporting files between programs but I wanted to get a weigh in from the professional community here.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

* EDIT: The reason for the rush is I've been asked to edit down about 8hrs of HD footage into 6, 20min segments with intros, music etc.
    * EDIT 2: In case it matters I have the Quad 2.66 2009 Mac Pro / 8GB RAM / 2x 1TB HD in RAID 0 / GT120 Stock

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

You should grab the master collection since it doesn't sound like you'll be doing a lot of heavy lifting with HD video, and you are already comfortable with the Adobe Suite.

There are apps in the Adobe suite and Final Cut suite which are arguably better here and there and all, and there are many supporters for both. In the end you'll have to ask yourself if you'll be using all of the Apple apps for video?

Even if you are, or plan to, are the Adobe apps offering you the same features and functionality in a single package? Check them both out and see for yourself.

3. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Thanks for the advice. I wish there was a trial of the newer version of FCP (which is why I was asking for input). The project's budget is about $6k so I figured now is a good time to spend that on upgrading from FCE which has been fine but people found out I can edit video and the requests have started to come in. I'm in no way a film-quality editor but I'm really getting back into it and want to learn more.

I think I'm going to try out the Production 30day trail and see how that goes with what footage I have so far.

Thanks again.

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

No problem,

The new FCP isn't that much different from the previous version, and personally you would definitely be better off keeping FCE and grabbing the Master Collection.

Premier IS DIFFERENT from Final Cut, but I highly doubt you'll have trouble making the small adjustments. An NLE is an NLE, they each just have their quirky differences.

Good luck, and spend that 6K wisely.