Upgrade DFU? Start from scratch iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JetSurly, Sep 12, 2013.

1. JetSurly macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, I searched with terms and couldnt find anything related.

I went into Apple yesterday and they did a diagnostics on my iphone and found that my OS is corrupt which has been causing performance and battery issues as well as cellular issues. Not sure if i believed them or not.

The guy did a DFU upgrade or something. Put the phone into DFU mode and connected to a mac and restored it. Seemed to work fine until i restored from my backup on my computer (i forgot to backup my pics and stuff).

So question, how do i do what he did? Do i need to download the ios6 software or do i just put connect my phone to itunes, put it into dfu mode and hit restore and setup as a new phone?

2. Azy macrumors regular

3. JetSurly thread starter macrumors newbie

Well yes, that is fact. But, the question is, do i need to download the ios firmware/software myself first or will itunes do that for me?

I dont want to restore from a backup since it has all the corrupt files in there

4. Azy macrumors regular

If it's not already been downloaded by iTunes, iTunes will simply automatically download the latest version of iOS available for your device. Don't worry, it virtually can't go wrong, follow the above steps.

5. JetSurly, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

JetSurly thread starter macrumors newbie

Im an idiot and you guys rock. Thanks for not pwning me too bad :eek:

Mods can probably delete this

6. Azy macrumors regular

Chances are you probably didn't need to do a DFU restore, there a only a few instances where you would need to. Simply plugging your iPhone into iTunes and hitting restore would do the trick in future if you need to do a restore for whatever reason.