Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Getaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2017
Howdy..

So, I want a new iphone. I'm going to be buying outright as I have a pretty good rolling contract deal I refuse to leave.

I'm thinking eight for the price, but X for the "fresh" factor.

Currently I have an iPhone 6 that is only just now (thanks ios11) starting to slow.. I do however have no other issues with the six, apart from the fact it's slightly bent

Is the 8 a big enough reason to upgrade or should I lay down £1000 on an X?

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
iPhone 6 -> 8 is a very big jump. iPhone 8 -> X, not so much, iPhone 8+ -> X, only main difference is the display.

The demand for X will be so high even if you manage to put a pre order in, you'll most likely have to wait a month or two (or even more) to get your hands on the phone. A lot of people who are going to pre order will be disappointed to see the long wait (a lot of us are already waiting since September), and will just cancel their orders and get an 8/8+ anyway. So going for 8 now is a better option, and you can upgrade to X's successor next year where supply will be plenty and it wont have issues that the X may have because of the new technologies.

Reactions: akash.nu

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
I'd go the X, especially as your 6 will be functioning fine well into the new year.

6 to 8 is same same, just the phones a bit faster. Meh.

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I'd go the X, especially as your 6 will be functioning fine well into the new year.

6 to 8 is same same, just the phones a bit faster. Meh.

6 to 8 is a big jump, it's not the "same". The design is different, the display's much better (more accurate, TrueTone, etc), the battery life is much better, the cameras are much better (both front and back), the speakers are stereo and much louder, there's water resistance, the TouchID is a lot faster, it has wireless charging and fast charging, there's taptic engine and 3D touch, a much faster CPU, and so much more.

It's insane to say they're "same" and that the only main difference is that "phones a bit faster".

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
Coming from a 6 I think you’d be happy with either option. I think it comes down to your willingness to wait a bit for the X. Like I said, either way I think you’ll be happy.

Reactions: Getaker

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Upgrading from a ip6 is a tough call at this point.

Yes, the improvements the ip8 brings are tangible, the price...less so. As for the ipX...plenty said already in various threads here.

If I was in your shoes, I'd wait till next year. If you are unable to do that, then make a choice.

Getaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2017
Upgrading from a ip6 is a tough call at this point.

Yes, the improvements the ip8 brings are tangible, the price...less so. As for the ipX...plenty said already in various threads here.

If I was in your shoes, I'd wait till next year. If you are unable to do that, then make a choice.

I can totally wait. I have had my 6 since 2014 and it's still going strong.. I just fancy a new phone

My issue is I will have to pay outright as there's no way any provider is giving me unlimited data/calls and texts for £32, and without contract
[doublepost=1507906927][/doublepost]Plus the lack of touch ID saddens me :(

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
6 to 8 is a big jump, it's not the "same". The design is different, the display's much better (more accurate, TrueTone, etc), the battery life is much better, the cameras are much better (both front and back), the speakers are stereo and much louder, there's water resistance, the TouchID is a lot faster, it has wireless charging and fast charging, there's taptic engine and 3D touch, a much faster CPU, and so much more.

It's insane to say they're "same" and that the only main difference is that "phones a bit faster".

I don't know about you, but apart from the TouchID and the battery life, I couldn't care less. The X is a whole new form factor that is going to be fun, the 8 is just... meh. An iPhone 6SSS.

All of those other features come with the X anyway, so it's all moot?

Anywho, as OP is buying outright, there are going to be soooo many people that are all "lol the X iz suxors" at the moment who will upgrade to one in the new year anyway, leaving lots of hardly used second hand 8's for OP to get his hands on. He's stated several times that he is happy to wait.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Gonna be proper fun waiting for devs to optimise their apps for a an edge to edge screen with notch at the top end. Also equally fun using it in landscape and having content missing. The hilarity, oh my!

Seriously though, I want people to buy the X because nobody - none of us - know what the UX will be until it's out there in the wild and being used daily. I'm hoping the feedback is positive because this time next year I'll probably flirt with the X Plus...with a notch. So there's a year for you lot out there to convince me that form factor is teh win.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I can totally wait. I have had my 6 since 2014 and it's still going strong.. I just fancy a new phone

My issue is I will have to pay outright as there's no way any provider is giving me unlimited data/calls and texts for £32, and without contract
[doublepost=1507906927][/doublepost]Plus the lack of touch ID saddens me :(

TouchID is a big reason why I love my 6s. Like I said, if you can hold out till next year...then do it.

I don't like the ip8 and the ipX for different reasons. I'm waiting too.

There's some uncertainty with Apple and what they will announce next year.

All I know is this year is a bust.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
I'm in the same boat. I have a 6S, and I was thinking of going for the 8+ or the X. I think I will just go for the X. The newer technology is my decision. It appears FaceID will eventually replace TouchID indefinitely. The search for more money ...

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I don't know about you, but apart from the TouchID and the battery life, I couldn't care less. The X is a whole new form factor that is going to be fun, the 8 is just... meh. An iPhone 6SSS.

Doesn't matter what you care about and what you don't, the fact is 6 -> 8 is a very big jump indeed.

All of those other features come with the X anyway, so it's all moot?

The X costs more. 64GB iPhone 8 costs $699 and 64GB X costs $999, big difference here worth $300. You can almost buy an Apple Watch Series 3 and an iPhone 8 for the same price, or an used Series 1 Apple Watch, AirPods and an iPhone 8.

Anywho, as OP is buying outright, there are going to be soooo many people that are all "lol the X iz suxors" at the moment who will upgrade to one in the new year anyway, leaving lots of hardly used second hand 8's for OP to get his hands on. He's stated several times that he is happy to wait.

It's up to OP, the wait for X will be a lot, anywhere between 1 week to 8 weeks or even more. Many people who pre ordered a Jet Black iPhone 7/7+ got theirs in November, some even in December. That's a 2-3 month wait, even after pre ordering like within 5 minutes. If the OP wants to risk waiting for so long, he can do that. Or he can simply pick up an 8/8+ and be happy with it, and upgrade to an improved X next year, with less waiting.

Reactions: akash.nu

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Doesn't matter what you care about and what you don't, the fact is 6 -> 8 is a very big jump indeed.

No it's not.

Form factor? Same.

Cameras? Yep.

Display? Same.

TouchID? Yep.

It's an upgrade of all features, but functionality and usage it's 99% the same.

Wireless charging and 3D Touch - huge differences there. Does anyone even use 3D touch? OP's managed to not immerse his phone in water so far, so again, waterproofing, meh.

Fast charging? Maybe?

You're just trying to justify the money you wasted on a 6SSS.

It's like saying a Mazda 6 to a later model Mazda 6 is a "huge" jump, when they're pretty much the same thing. A Mazda 626 to Mazda 6 was a huge jump.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Gonna be proper fun waiting for devs to optimise their apps for a an edge to edge screen with notch at the top end. Also equally fun using it in landscape and having content missing. The hilarity, oh my!

Seriously though, I want people to buy the X because nobody - none of us - know what the UX will be until it's out there in the wild and being used daily. I'm hoping the feedback is positive because this time next year I'll probably flirt with the X Plus...with a notch. So there's a year for you lot out there to convince me that form factor is teh win.

You will be shocked how fast developers will have their apps ready to go on day one. It wasn't an issue with the 3.5" to 4" phones, 4" to 4.7", and 4.7" to 5.5"
[doublepost=1507910222][/doublepost]
No it's not.

Form factor? Same.

Cameras? Yep.

Display? Same.

TouchID? Yep.

Wireless charging and 3D Touch - huge differences there. Does anyone even use 3D touch? OP's managed to not immerse his phone in water so far, so again, waterproofing, meh.

Fast charging? Maybe?

You're just trying to justify the money you wasted on a 6SSS.

It's like saying a Mazda 6 to a later model Mazda 6 is a "huge" jump, when they're pretty much the same thing. A Mazda 626 to Mazda 6 was a huge jump.

Are you being serious with the camera claims? The 8 will be a pretty significant jump from a 6 on all accounts. Sure the display is similar, but there are also differences there too.

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom

So going by your logic, why buy an X, if its 99% iPhone 8? Why pay a premium of $300 and risk waiting a month or two for a phone that's 99% the same as an "iPhone 6SSS"? Just to get a phone where the only difference is a new form factor and OLED display, and where there's a strong possibility of issues with software/hardware due to the fact that it's a 1st get device?

You're just trying to justify the money you wasted on a 6SSS

lol I use an iPhone 5S, I haven't even upgraded to the new phones yet. The iPhone 8/8+ is a damn good phone, and a massive upgrade from a 6 or a 5S. Ask anyone who has upgraded and are happy about it.

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
So going by your logic, why buy an X, if its 99% iPhone 8? Why pay a premium of $300 and risk waiting a month or two for a phone that's 99% the same as an "iPhone 6SSS"? Just to get a phone where the only difference is a new form factor and OLED display, and where there's a strong possibility of issues with software/hardware due to the fact that it's a 1st get device?

Because it's a first gen exciting device, not a rehashed iPhone 6. Really depends what OP is wanting, it's not something we can decide for him. Personally I'm waiting for the X purely because the 8 is a yawnfest.

lol I use an iPhone 5S, I haven't even upgraded to the new phones yet. The iPhone 8/8+ is a damn good phone, and a massive upgrade from a 6 or a 5S.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 61

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Sold my iPhone 7 long ago, been using a 5S for the past few months, while waiting to hear more about the iPhone 8 and X.

So the 7, which is lets face it, very close to the 8 (as iOS11 doesn't tax the A10 yet) was so boring for you that you had no issues going back to a 5S.

Right...

The shell is honestly the only thing similar between the two.

You could apply that same remark to the 6S (except the headphone jack which was the same part) as well, depends how you define things.
[doublepost=1507911055][/doublepost]
You didn't answer my question.

Sorry, much updating posts and such, missed this one, but you might have typed it before I added to my post above

Because you're shelling out a grand either way, may as well get some new spangly shininess out of it. What's an extra couple hundred, the X will retain value over an 8 too.

May as well stick with a 7 and save some cash for the time being if you don't care about spangly, as if the 8 is a mega upgrade to a 6, then by virtue a 7 must be as well...

But, OP did mention spangly ("fresh") factor as being the reason why he is hesitant. I may be wrong, of course, but I get the feeling that if OP buys an 8, the X is going to come out and he'll wish he had one.

Also, OP's current device was a 1st gen, and he stated it has been fine for him, so I don't think he puts much weight behind the "1st gen devices are bad" line of thinking

Last edited:

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I’d recommend getting the 8+. Even coming from the 7+ I noticed a very big jump in the speed of the phone, wireless charging is great, the camera is AMAZING, true tone display is awesome, 3D Touch has a ton of great uses, and the battery life is insane. If you care a lot about the form factor, go for the X. If that doesn’t really matter to you, then go for the 8+

Reactions: 44267547

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
So the 7, which is lets face it, very close to the 8 (as iOS11 doesn't tax the A10 yet) was so boring for you that you had no issues going back to a 5S.

Right...

I sold it so I can get some cash towards a new iPhone, because if I waited to sell it after I got an 8/8 or X the value would've depreciated a lot. I bought the used 5S off eBay as I got it for £58 in a one of a kind deal. Most 5S's sold on eBay (used) average around £150. I needed an iPhone to use while I waited for a new phone and didn't want to spend a lot of money and lose even more when selling it later, plus I got lucky, so I got this 5S. It's trade-in value is still the same as what I paid, so I am not losing any money it on it. In fact I can just sell it on eBay and make a £100 profit.

Because you're shelling out a grand either way, may as well get some new spangly shininess out of it. What's an extra couple hundred, the X will retain value over an 8 too.

May as well stick with a 7 and save some cash for the time being if you don't care about spangly, as if the 8 is a mega upgrade to a 6, then by virtue a 7 must be as well...

You're not shelling a grand, the 64GB 8 costs £699, and 64GB X costs £999. If you went for £256GB 8, it would cost £799 and the 256GB X would cost £1149. If you have a budget of £1000+, then yeah you can get an X, but it's not necessary as the wait time is going to be really long. A lot of people with that budget have already settled with an 8+ and are very happy with it.

The point is, if you're coming from 5S or 6, the 8/8+ is a big jump and buying an X wouldn't make much of a difference (plus can buy the 8/8+ now without waiting and wont have to deal with buggy software/hardware that a first gen device usually has)

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
You will be shocked how fast developers will have their apps ready to go on day one. It wasn't an issue with the 3.5" to 4" phones, 4" to 4.7", and 4.7" to 5.5"
[doublepost=1507910222][/doublepost]

I hope so. You're right though, thinking about it, there wasn't that much of a wait to see apps optimised in the past.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I hope so. You're right though, thinking about it, there wasn't that much of a wait to see apps optimised in the past.

Plus it is not like they have to wait to get their hands on the phone to optimize the apps. They can do it now. Most probably already have it ready to update on the 3rd. The over a month lag between announcement and release should only make it even less of an issue.

Reactions: spooky23

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Howdy..

So, I want a new iphone. I'm going to be buying outright as I have a pretty good rolling contract deal I refuse to leave.

I'm thinking eight for the price, but X for the "fresh" factor.

Currently I have an iPhone 6 that is only just now (thanks ios11) starting to slow.. I do however have no other issues with the six, apart from the fact it's slightly bent

Is the 8 a big enough reason to upgrade or should I lay down £1000 on an X?

I would just ask yourself what do you want from both of these new iPhones? Similarly they have almost the same specifications internally, but it comes down to do you prefer Face ID or touch ID if that's applicable to you. And obviously the other difference being with the LCD and OLED display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.