Upgrade disaster

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by dfinecy, Mar 26, 2013.

1. dfinecy, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013

dfinecy macrumors regular

So I finally upgraded my iphone 5 to 6.1.3 and when I plugged it into my computer, it instantly went into restore mode. Once the firmware was updated and my phone responsive again, it shows that everything is deleted and I must restore from a backup. I haven't backed up my phone in over a month and have lost a lot of info. I've updated before and have never had this problem, your help would be much appreciated!

UPDATE: Thankfully, I was able to get most of my info back either via iCloud or whatever was on my previous backup but the biggest thing I lost was my info in my checkbook app. I'm really curious if this happened to anybody else and maybe act as a little warning to those who haven't upgraded yet

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

You should really do backups. I prefer iTunes backup since it's stored locally but iCloud backups would also work too. Wouldn't iTunes automatically do a backup when you are restoring? If you clicked update, not too sure of iTunes does an auto backup/sync

Unfortunately, you can only restore from that backup. However, if it's photos you're after, you might have a hope assuming it's not overwritten. You can try using Dr.Fone to see what you can recover (I hear of people recommending this program but I don't know how effective it is)

3. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Right before starting the update, iTunes prompts you to backup or not backup before proceeding ... I am guessing you clicked no backup in rush

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

The way he phrases his post suggests he was updating via settings -> general -> updates

5. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

What stuff did you lose? Some of it might still be in iCloud.

6. dfinecy thread starter macrumors regular

This is exactly what I did. I went to do the OTA update and it immediately prompted me to connect to itunes (recovery mode) once the "verifying update" notification was done. I had no opportunity to backup before updating (which is what I usually do before updating via itunes) and completely wiped my phone.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Glad you got most of it back. Going forward, :) besides forcing an iCloud backup before updating on the phone, you should check to see what apps are being backed up to iCloud. I turn some things off to save space in iCloud. It sounds like your checkbook app may not have been set to backup to iCloud. Just a guess.

8. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

9. Oui macrumors 6502

I've been using OTA since introduced and also icloud ba k ups and have never had an issue. So it's not always the best.

10. vistadude macrumors 65816

Exact same thing happened to me today when I upgrade my iphone 4 from 5.1.1 to 6.1.3. Nothing got saved including photos, messages, email, contacts. Luckily I had a local backup on an external drive from 6 weeks ago. I just deleted the backups from library mobilesync and dragged in the old backup. It works even if you're upgrading different versions of the OS.

I did lose a few things like messages, contacts, and notes that were updated within the 6 week time, but nothing too bad. The worst thing was my custom sms tones since I didn't back those up and my "new" version of iTunes doesn't see those anymore. I recommend you make a local backup with iTunes, and also backup contacts and ring/sms tones locally. iCloud is nice but misses a lot of things since they only give you 5 gb.